After some seasoned advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpy

Reaction score
Hi everyone I joined here a while back now with the intention of starting home brewing, I've now got my equipment and part way through doing my first brew, Beerworks uncle teddy's Yorkshire bitter, I've managed the first stage ok and transferred the brew into my barrel last Friday. The bit that is confusing me is I had a general set of instructions supplied with my equipment stating after barrelling place it in a warm place for 2-3 days then somewhere cool to clear, but the instructions that came with my uncle teddy's states after barrelling place in a warm place for 7 days then a cool place for 2 weeks to clear. I'd like to know what more experienced brewers would do, is leaving longer the better option?
Thanks

A good rule of thumb is to place your beer somewhere warm for 2 weeks so it can carbonate. But considering your conditioning a bitter id say 7 days like your kit says.

I always do 2 + 2 + 2, whatever I'm brewing. 2 weeks fv, 2 weeks bottles/kegs same temp as fermentation, then 2 weeks somewhere cooler (10 - 12°c). Works for me.

Superb guys I shall practice the 2+2+2 method thanks for the responses much appreciated.
And, as you might have gathered if you have read other posts, your beer will improve with keeping. Although you should be able to drink it after 2 weeks conditioning, chances are it will be much improved six weeks further on. So don't drink it all at once ! :drink:

And, as you might have gathered if you have read other posts, your beer will improve with keeping. Although you should be able to drink it after 2 weeks conditioning, chances are it will be much improved six weeks further on. So don't drink it all at once ! :drink:

Yes terrym thanks, I keep reading that, I need to control myself, I'm far to eager to at minute just wanting to try it with it been my first attempt

Hhuhhumm....:-?

What do you mean Hhuhhumm....?? Clearly, building up a stock is the only logical way to proceed. That way, you can permanently drink beer at its best. No need to ever put up with an immature, sub-standard brew again :lol:
No surprise therefore that this counsel of perfection is my perpetual plan :thumb:
Regrettably, I must confess that I fall short of this perfection :-(
OK - I never really come close to achieving it :cry:

But that's so far - the next 5-month plan will surely solve it :)

Back