Warm then cold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewing my fifth kit today
Woodforde's Admiral Premium Ale 5.5%

Previous kit brews have gone well, but I'm always learning.

With the warm weather, ( I'm in Aberdeen but still warm ) how do I place the bottles into a cool place after the initial 2 - 3 days in a warm place after bottling?

In the winter I could keep the bottles in our house and then transfer to the garage.

Suggestions welcome

Cheers

Matt

2-3 days should be more like 14. I have recently started putting bottles in a fridge for two weeks after and then store in garage. Normally means smaller batches as my fridge isn't that large

I posted a thread recently about my latest brew having far too much of a head on it and the general consensus is that it's probably down to the heat. I have a brew fridge so can control the fermentation temps, but I suspect it went out to the shed while the yeast was still active and the warm weather in June (remember that?), affected it. I think I'm going to build my stocks in Spring and avoid brewing in June/July/August in future.

To answer your question, just find the coolest place you can. If that's the garage, keep it against a wall that dosen't get the sun and hope for the best. 2-3 days in a warm place after bottling is never enough. There's no way your secondary fermentation will have taken place in that time. Leave for 2 weeks in the warm and then move to the coolest place possible for at least another two weeks, though I prefer a month. It takes some patience, but you'll be rewarded with better beer.

If not on a water meter spray them with water periodically or rig up a plastic storage box keep them in water, make a hole to let water drain out slowly and top up with cold mains water

assuming they are in the garage with a concrete floor

I sorted it, when I got fed up carting the little buggers about.

At the final destination.
Stack them in wine crates (3 crates of 12)
On top of a hostess tray (max 100w*) underneath controlled by inkbird or a power controller.
Thread an adult sleeping bag over the top.

Mine has been running for a couple of years.

*they can be adjusted with a cheap power controller.

Ps. If you bottle warm, they only need heat for 4 maybe 5 days

Last edited:
I just put them in the garage after 2 weeks whatever the temperature, it will at some point be cool at night. Recently I got a couple of ThermoPro Bluetooth thermometers so I can track garage and house conditions which is handy. In my house in winter it is hard to find a spot actually warm enough and they end up in the boiler cupboard.

Latest posts

Back