AG#1 49er Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhendy91

Reaction score
Planning to do my first all grain tomorrow now I have purchased a 40l buffalo boilers from nesbits clearence. I will be doing the ringwood 49er clone from graham wheelers book to get me started. I have got my best friend coming round to help as we both started kit brewing at the same time and he is thinking about making the jump.

Just hoping to have some fun and make a drinkable beer really, as well as making note of everything so I can be more accurate on my next brew.

Will post all the pics tomorrow once it is done, but here is a quick pic I took today of everything together. Will be insulating my boiler with an old very thick foam camp mat in the morning before I start.

Just got a 10 hour shift at work tonight to get through first. I know its going to go so slow as I am really excited though.
:cheers:

300/3/14 EDIT:
Actual Brewday:

So yesterday was the day, and I have to say haven't had such a fun and relaxing day in a long time. Me and my friend started bright and early at 9am. We started by insulating my boiler with a camp mat. Then we made a measuring stick out of a pvc pipe to measure the volume. After that we filled the boiler to 35L and set the alarm on the thermometer to 70 degrees. While waiting for that we measured up our grain and our hops.

Once we hit 70 we added the grain and got spot on the mash temp and left to mash for 90 minutes.

After this it was time to heat up for the boil and have a home brew, also got some pizza delivered to the garage. The bearded guy is my friend not me though.

[u
In the end i got 25L at 1047, we were aiming for 1049 at 23L so not to far off, will just have adjust my boil off rate for next time. Left to cool overnight then pitched the yeast this morning. All in all very pleased with everything.

However I did have two causalities on the day, I dropped my digital thermometer probe in the bath and it is now dead, also when I tried to take a pre boil gravity reading the liquid was so warm that it deformed my trial jar (just a cheap coopers one). So going to get a nice sturdy one that won't deform when i put hot liquid in it.

AG CHERRY POPED!!!!

I bought the same Buffalo for BIAB last year, & have AGs 6 & 7 in fermenters now... It's a great bit of kit, been meaning to mod it with a hop filter, but very usable as is - I'm still using hop socks for now. You'll probably be okay with two of you, but if you're ever brewing alone, some method of suspending the bag is a godsend, especially for higher gravity brews! I can thoroughly recommend a punch bag bracket, if you're able to go drilling into walls where you are ;)

Hope it all goes well :thumb:

Good 7 P`s
And if this go wrong, don't worry, don't panic, but most of all...take your time and enjoy....Top Tip..do not drink any alcohol until its finished and you've cleaned down.

Cheers guys. Just edited my above post with the brew day description and lots of pictures. It was a great day. :cheers:

Looking good. 49er great beer. Recently got a buffalo, currently modding it and ensuring I can cool it fast enough after the boil. Hopefully once I've finished brewing my first 5 ags again (on #4) I'll be christening my buffalo with a Wheeler clone. Keep us posted on the 49er. :cheers:

Cactus Jack said:
Looking good. 49er great beer. Recently got a buffalo, currently modding it and ensuring I can cool it fast enough after the boil. Hopefully once I've finished brewing my first 5 ags again (on #4) I'll be christening my buffalo with a Wheeler clone. Keep us posted on the 49er. :cheers:

Yea it is defiantly one of my favorite beers that's why I choose it. I am planning to mod my buffalo using the guide on here to add a hop filter and a ball lock tap, however I just had to test it and hardly ever get a nice sunny day off at the weekends so yesterday was the day.

Regarding cooling I did dunk my FV in an Ice bath to start cooling it wasn't doing much to cool it and I had to go to a family dinner so choose to go no chill and just chill it overnight.

I can't use a wort chiller as I don't think it will fit on my tap and don't really know how else to cool quickly enough.

What were your plans?

I've done what I believe your looking to do http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=36636, easy enough. I order the pipes and fittings for this wort chiller http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10534 that looks a little more difficult. I also purchased this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0093EHH5U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 plus some 6cm ss bolts from B&Q to keep the bag off of the element, its a great fit. Finally I'm looking to fit a dial thermometer. What sort of tap do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cactus Jack said:
I've done what I believe your looking to do http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=36636, easy enough. I order the pipes and fittings for this wort chiller http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10534 that looks a little more difficult. I also purchased this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0093EHH5U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 plus some 6cm ss bolts from B&Q to keep the bag off of the element, its a great fit. Finally I'm looking to fit a dial thermometer. What sort of tap do you have?

At the moment i just have the stock tap and use hop bags as well as a strainer when i empty the FV. I have to say this beer has the funkiest krausen I have ever seen. Is this normal for an AG brew?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.... sure the krausen is ok. Most seem different dependant on the yeast and grain used. I currently have an APA which used a lot of rye malt in the FV. Krausen was the lightest and fluffiest I have experienced. The trub is very funky, peaked like the Himalayas and lots of it. I'm pretty inexperienced so I'm sure someone else on here can better put your mind at rest. What yeast did you use?

P.S. the Wheeler brew to christen my Buffalo with be my Wife's choice 'Moorhouses Pendle Witches Brew'. :cheers:

Cactus Jack said:
Hmmm.... sure the krausen is ok. Most seem different dependant on the yeast and grain used. I currently have an APA which used a lot of rye malt in the FV. Krausen was the lightest and fluffiest I have experienced. The trub is very funky, peaked like the Himalayas and lots of it. I'm pretty inexperienced so I'm sure someone else on here can better put your mind at rest. What yeast did you use?

P.S. the Wheeler brew to christen my Buffalo with be my Wife's choice 'Moorhouses Pendle Witches Brew'. :cheers:

I used Windsor yeast. But all my worries disappeared this morning when I woke up to a big fluffy cloudy kraussen and and it smells awsommeeeee! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back