AG#1 Fingers Crossed!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredy

Reaction score
Bathams Best Bitter style
Pale Malt (maris Otter) 4480g

Start of Boil
Fuggle Hops 31g
Northdown Hops 18g

Post-boil Hops
Golding Hops 10g

1 x Protafloc last 15 mins of Boil

1 pack of S-04
(Sorry no pics)
Hi all,after doing a few kits the last 6 months i decided to crack at all grain brewing,ive got a 20l pot so i made a voile bag for a maxi biab,in the meantime iv pick up a free 20l cooler box and coverted to a mashtun so the bag is now just being used as a false bottom till i get round till making a manifold.

on my brew day i didnt set any targets,just went with the flow of things and made a few notes.
Mashed for 90 mins at 68 dropping to 66 degrees by the end,
10 minute sparge with approx 12l water(only managed to add about 8l during boil)
preboil gravity 1.052
60 minute boil adding sparge runnings as and when i could to keep pot topped up
let cool for ten minutes the steeped post boil hops for 30 mins
crash cooled outside in a tub with running water
19l of wort into fv diluted with 4l
o.g 1.040 at pitching

This recipe was bought as a pre weighed kit so fingers crossed iv got beer :D

:thumb: :thumb: well done I'm sure you have just made 19 L. of a good tasting beer.

Now on to AG #2.... :D

Good work, if its anything like the Bathams Best from GWs book you'll have a cracking beer :thumb:

Thanks guys, :thumb: It was a bit daunting at first with all the technical jargon you read when reserching on the net,but thanks to some of the helpful,user friendly posts on here that made life a bit easier.I'll defenitly takes some pics next time now i know i'll have time to use the camara :)

Bottled this one yesturday with an f.g down to 1.008 so 4.2 a.b.v,
had to taste the last 1/2 pint out of bottle bucket for reference :whistle:
I was suprised how clear it was and i was glad to see the lack of the initial kit taste iv been used to,there was plenty of fuity notes with a lot of body,looking forward to this one conditioning :D
on to a.g#2(hopefully the weekend) which is gonna be a guinnes extra stout ag kit ive already bought.

well done , and welcome over . Yes even though it can seem a world of confusing science it's can be easy to do once you have a go . Will you be buying a pack of grain like you did for AG 2 or are you thinking of creating a recipe :thumb:

I bought the packs for ag#1 & 2 at the same time,apart from saving on the postage charge which of coarse is a bonus,
i thought id try 2 different pre weighed recipes to get a feel for the overall process.
Once those are done im hopefully gonna start experimenting with different ingredients,maybe doing a few slight changes each time to get my head around some of the different flavors and styles,Ill try anything once so should be fun :)

download some beer software, like Brewmate ( free) and have a play. Very helpful in learning/understanding the changes different malts make. Works out your volumes and amounts for you for any size brew.... :thumb:

If it tasted good out of the bottling bucket then it will surely taste fabulous in a month. Well done. Build up a stock of homebrew, would be my advice. Bottled beer from the shops is finished for me. Homebrew rules.

Back