AG#1 my 1'st trip to the dark side...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakenhallBrewer

Reaction score
So after some successful extract brews and dabbling with some Turbo Cider, I thought it was time to finally take a trip to the dark side. :D

My stepson is getting married in a few months, and as he genuinely seems to have appreciated my brewing efforts to date I thought that I'd try and make some fairly strong "celebration" ale to commemorate the event.

All the beers I've brewed so far have come from Graham Wheeler's BYOBRA book and they've turned out OK, so I thumbed through again and decided on the Sarah Hughes Ruby mild clone.

This seemed reasonably straightforward and just happens to be one of my favourite beers - I'm lucky as I only live a couple of miles away from the brewery in Sedgley so i can go and do some taste research while I'm waiting for my efforts to come to fruition :thumb:

I'd only done extract brews so far so I needed a mash tun. I don't mind trying to build things myself and ended up producing this for just over £30:-

6707654867_c32ac7e285_m.jpg
Basically a plastic bucket covered in 4 layers of insulation with a 20mm hole cut with a tank converter and a ball tap fitted.

6707658223_3ce3d3a116_m.jpg
The grain filter is some stainless steel mesh cable cover bought by the metre from a boy racer shop on fleabay and some of Vossy's silicon hose

So on to the brewday - Thankfully my much better half agreed to me using the kitchen as originally I was going to set everything up in our outhouse but it was bl**dy freezing.

6703665859_3d81911096_m.jpg
The obligatory grain in the bucket shot ! :) Just Pale and Crystal Malt

6703671173_84b4da7ca1_m.jpg
Water at strike temperature so here we go

6703683125_a5cd177f09_m.jpg
In goes the Malt

6703690269_98d94a8cb5_m.jpg
Give it a good stir..

6703704283_22331f045b_m.jpg
Unfortunately the Flash tripped on the camera but the mash temperature was 66.4 degrees

6703707967_01883a3f6d_m.jpg
Mash tun all tucked up - i knew buying that extra roll of loft insulation would come in useful someday :D

6703711699_9c02176409_m.jpg
More improvisation - my 99p sparge unit suitably drilled with holes, it fits perfectly on top of the mash tun

6703727847_a79ac64d15_m.jpg
Another obligatory shot :D - hops all weighed out and labelled

6703746823_5f9931aaba_m.jpg
Mash good... only lost 0.1 degrees over 90 minutes - not bad for a glorified bucket... :D

6703754707_cfa9ed9ebd_m.jpg
Sparging :D I built a homemade Valentine arm to help control the flow after reading about them on here - worked a treat :D

6703764431_d566a20620_m.jpg
I used a small bucket to collect the first runnings before recycling them back through the mash tun

6703774583_bcd414acf6_m.jpg
Finishing off the sparge Flow from the HLT was stopped and the Valentine arm slowly lowered

6703782707_e5f1656f71_m.jpg
Left over grains - I put the lid back on and they were still bl**dy hot 5 hours later when i was cleaning up!

6498752071_dc4ef7a3cb_m.jpg
Time for one I brewed earlier :cheers:

6703791961_50d3af8639_m.jpg
Starting to foam up. I took my eye off it just after i took this and very nearly had a boil over :pray:

6703803709_93e47aa599_m.jpg
Starting to boil - Hops about to go in. 90 minutes to go

6703812165_9b2b0c8680_m.jpg
Well into the boil now - rolling along

6703828535_8b8e3b31e7_m.jpg
30 minutes left - in goes the home made twin coil chiller (excellent bit of kit, made using BigYin's howto - thanks :thumb: )

6703847315_dac10377b7_m.jpg
Checking the outflow from the Chiller. Water was 8 degrees going in and over 70 degrees on the way out

6703861493_399ed1fa0c_m.jpg
Collecting the wort after chilling - and another use for my Valentine arm.

Just after I took the last photo I had my only mishap of the day when my home made hop filter clogged up and the wort flowing from the boiler just stopped. I've never had a problem with the hop filter before and I can only put it down to the fact that I'd covered the drilled pipe with some of the 'spare' steel mesh left over from the mash tun build - I thought it would help but it didn't, ah well you live and learn. I ended up jugging the wort out of the boiler and pouring it through the sieve. Not the best outcome but it was all I could think of at the time.

After all this effort I finished up with 19 litres of wort in the FV at an SG of 1059 which wasn't far off what it should be :D

When I poured some into my hydrometer jar to check the SG it was very cloudy and the finished article may never pass Vossy's 'feck' test but as long as it turns into something drinkable then I don't really care.

6709358399_281505ae45_m.jpg
All finished and put away under the stairs.

6709355013_87835bd31c_m.jpg
24 hours on - couldnt resist a peek, looks good and smells gorgeous :D :D

Overall I had great day and learned a lot, there's nothing like actually trying things out rather than just reading about them however I must admit I wouldn't have got anywhere had it not been for the time and effort that people put in on these forums helping people like me - a big thank you to you all :thumb:

I've definitely got the bug now so roll on AG #2 :cheers:

Great set of pics during a first brew BB :clap: I was too busy panicking :lol: as I'm sure most are :grin: That's a fairly straight brew day, relatively no problems, the brewing gods must be looking on you favourably :lol:
Well done that man :drink:
Love the mash tun, so simple and even better, cheap :cool:

Thanks for taking the time mate....as my first AG nears I need all the encouragement I can get....I reckon I remember how to post pics now though not how to size them like you do . Time I got off my figurative **** and posted up some of my brewdays now I have re activated photobucket ....if the clockwork fuji first generation digital camera can stay working long enough . There was an unfortunate incident with some saddle soap , a radiator and the camera some years ago that it never really recovered from :? :roll:

Another one moves to the Dark Side :party:

Welcome in, it's not as difficult as it seems is it :!: plus the rewards are excellent :thumb:

Great pics for a 1st AG brewday, as Vossy says I was far too rushed to manage to even get a camera out, let alone take photos :clap:

Your cloudy wort will clear I am sure and you'll be happy with the results :thumb:

I can't take any credit I'm afraid for managing to resize the photo's - I use flickr and they sort of just come out that size ;)

Originally I was going to write every step down and cross things off as I got to them but then I realised I was getting paranoid and worrying too much and just decided to go with the flow - glad I did now :D

Cheers

Chris

Looks good...I now have to investigate what a valentine arm is and decide whether I need one :wha:
Let us know how the brew turns out, I was thinking about the Sarah Hughes as one of my next brews

6703861493_399ed1fa0c_m.jpg

The copper pipe holding the sieve up in the photo is the Valentine arm (sorry this is the best photo I have at the moment).

You can just about see the 15mm tap connector on one arm which attaches to the ball valve tap on the mash tun. The arm is then raised so that the little cross piece is at the height that you want the head of water over your grains whilst sparging. You can then crank right open the tap on the Mash tun and you then only have to bother about controlling the flow from the HLT.

It basically stops you having to juggle about matching the flow coming in from the HLT with the flow out of the Mash tun.

I read about one and had some spare copper lying around so I thought I'd make one and try it

Cheers

Chris

6703754707_cfa9ed9ebd_z.jpg

(Hopefully) a better picture of the Valentine arm attached to my Mash tun. I'd raised it up so that the cross piece was about 2 inches above the level of the grains. The tap on the Mash tun is cranked right open and the flow is being controlled by the tap on the boiler (above the washing machine)

P.S.

Vossy - that silicon hose you had for sale is damned useful as you can see i'm using it on everything - thanks :thumb:

Thanks for posting I enjoy reading through these sorts of things and seeing pictures of the process. Looks like great fun too,i'm sure you are all going to enjoy the results.

How long did it take you in the end from starting to pitching the yeast?

BrewDan

I started at 10.00 on Sunday morning (just as the missus put the Archers on - great reason to go off and start brewing :D ) - Pitched the yeast at about 17:30 and had everything cleared up about 18:15. Quite a long day really and I think I may split up the next one

Cheers

Chris

They get quicker with practice :grin: If you intend to drink the beer quite quickly (not storing for months) you could reduce the boil time to 1hr and the mash will probably be done by then too. To check the mash for starch put a few drop of the runnings onto a plate and add a drop of Iodine/videne, if it turns blue/black/purple it's not finished, if it stays brown it's done, the starch has been converted to sugar.
Most modern 'heavily modified/selectively bred malts' will be fully converted in 45 mins, maybe even less.
Selectively bred being tongue in cheek :grin:

Wow ok so its an all day job, but you enjoyed it of course. Looking forward to finding out what your taste test is like

Latest posts

Back