AG#14 Simcoe & Son APA and mash tun mods

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevela

Regular.
Reaction score
As I have had a day off today I figured I should get my first brew of the year underway (in February...the shame...)

This year I am aiming to stick with mainly simple recipes so I can concentrate on working on process and technique. One of the issues I have been having previously was with clarity of wort out of the kettle. When mashing I noticed I was getting a lot of cavitation around the edges so was not getting as good a seal as I could, to try and resolve that I have

a) replaced the line around my false bottom of the mash tun which had a large gap where it had shrunk.

b) fitted a length of 1/2" silicon hose around the bottom of the mash tun joined together with a smaller diameter hose to stop it opening up. This should get a good seal where the two hoses connect and by putting the gaps in the hose on the opposite side from each other should stop it from escaping at that edge:

wlcSoAf.jpg

Test recipe is a simple pale ale with nothing but Simcoe (due to the 500g sat in my freezer that needs to be used): *edit* added Citra as a dry hop as I had some that needed using up.

Recipe: AG#14 Simcoe & Son
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 48.7 IBUs

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter
0.20 kg Pale Wheat Malt
10.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min 14.0 IBUs
20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 15.8 IBUs
1.00 Item Immersion Chiller (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.25 Item Protofloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
40.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 8.9 IBUs
50.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)
50.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
25.00 g Citra - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge, Drain
Total Grain Weight: 4.70 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 13.76 l of water at 74.9 C 66.7 C 90 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 21.29l) of 75.6 C water

Not many pictures as my phone gave up just before I began :(

Lots of Simcoe:

JF5oen8.jpg

Aftermath:

cfClfAb.jpg

OG of 1.050 and looking nice and clear

fw4yx7t.jpg

Mash tun remains:

lg5MQXL.jpg

Given the clarity, the fact I hit pre and post boil gravities and that Beersmith gave me a mash efficiency of 85% I'm quite happy with my first test of the new mash tun setup, definitely an improvement on how I had it before.

is the silicone tube the only support for the fb or do u have legs too??
looks like its a successful solution so i may copy u.

Fil said:
is the silicone tube the only support for the fb or do u have legs too??
looks like its a successful solution so i may copy u.

There are legs on the FB but they won't be touching at the moment as they are too short. I might see if these guys can supply a smaller diameter version which would have the same effect but also allow the legs to touch. Would also have the benefit of being a single piece with no join required.

Checked on this the other day and it's now down to 1.006 so I've added the additional Simcoe hops along with some Citra that I had left over (have to change the name now!) and I've started chilling it ready to hopefully keg this weekend!

First glass out of the keg and this is tasting very nice indeed:

iYCEntP.jpg

Has a nice hop aroma and tastes a lot smoother than my other brews (could this be from kegging it rather than bottle conditioning?)

Will definitely do this one again in summer with probably some more Simcoe in early on to up the bitterness.

Latest posts

Back