AG#18 American Amber Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never bothered before weighing out the previous day, but thought that I would for this one for a change. Note my old faithful grain bag!

floor.jpeg

Last edited:
I am just putting together a recipe for an American Amber. How was the malt profile - that seems a heck of a lot of Munich?
Looking at the recipe, I’m more surprised at the proportion of crystal and I’d be pushing the sulphate up a bit.
The end result was malt forward very tasty compared to my first effort. I’ve got an Irish Red ready to keg, once that’s done I’ll be doing this one again.

amb1.jpeg

Looks fabulous, gorgeous colour and lovely and clear. After added some cold water this morning before pitching (as I quite often do), I'm at the target volume of 11 litres, with an OG of 1058 for a BHE of a modest 65%. I usually manage a bit better than that, but the grain bill probably accounts for it.

I am well pleased, and look forward to tasting it!

@Alastair70
I'm having a go at an American Amber this week. My usual process of BIAB and 30 minute boil. I have Citra and Simcoe, for 30 minute, 5 minute and flameout additions and a dry hop. M-15 Empire ale yeast. ABV 5%

For the grain bill from what I have in stock -
80% Pale Maris Otter
7% Vienna [as I forgot to order Munich]
6% Medium Crystal
4% Dark Crystal
3% Amber malt

Does the Vienna seem OK in place of the Munich or should I just up the crystal instead?

I also have Special B - does it have a place here?

Cheers

Last edited:
@Jim Brewster
That all looks on target. I’ve upped the proportion of crystal in my latest iteration and added some chocolate malt to balance the sweetness, the brewday write up is here.
I’m brewing again this weekend too. Same grain bill as Llamas, but with a big hopstand. Keep a bottle aside, we can exchange our efforts and compare outcomes.

Back