AG#2 Timothy Taylor's Landlord Clone - Maxi BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyB78

Regular.
Reaction score
With stocks beginning to run low and a nice big delivery from the Malt Miller, it's time to do another brew. Tomorrow morning I'm going for a Timothly Taylor's Landlord clone from Graham Wheeler's book done with a maxi-BIAB method. I wont post up the recipe, copyright and all that.

I've a 19L stockpot and aiming to get 19L into the FV. I managed 18L last time so I think with a better sparge I should be able to get the pre boil sg up a bit. Then add some boiled and cooled water to the FV to reach my desired 1.042 OG.

A few things looking to improve this time

1. take more notes - i barely took any notes for AG#1 as was all a bit of a mission trying to brew and cook for a dinner party at the same time. This time round I've got plenty of time so can take more care and get everything noted down.
2. Make the beer Clearer - last batch was pretty cloudy. I've put this down to lack of care when pouring the cooled wort into the fv. This time I intend to no chill in a cube having syphoned from kettle to cube. Then syphon again into fv, hopefully this will mean less trub getting into the fv.
3. Take more pics.
4. Try not to spill wort onto cooker, and if i do clean off straight away! Took blooming ages to scrub off last time!

Pics to follow when i get started in the morning.

syphoned from kettle to cube

Careful! You want very hot wort to sanitise the cube, and most syphon tubes aren't up to those temperatures. You need a silicone hose for this..

Then syphon again into fv, hopefully this will mean less trub getting into the fv.

Nah, give it a good slosh! I pour from my cube into the FV from a big a height as possible - you get great aeration for the yeast.

One trick to getting clear beer is "crash cool" - put the FV somewhere cold for the last couple of days before you bottle.

Thanks Kevin, It's one of may favourite beers so looking forward to drinking it!

Careful! You want very hot wort to sanitise the cube, and most syphon tubes aren't up to those temperatures. You need a silicone hose for this..

yeah think I'll let it cool a bit first. Without a tap it's the only way I can think to carefully transfer to the cube without just pouring a load of the trub in again without delaying the brew for new equipment.

One trick to getting clear beer is "crash cool" - put the FV somewhere cold for the last couple of days before you bottle.

Will give that one a try, my outhouse is certainly cold enough a the moment!!

My brew on Saturday went pretty well. I missed a couple of my targets but only just

Post Mash of was 1.062 - Target was 1.065
Pre Boil after sparging was 1.053 - Target was 1.047 - Must have got a good sparge (or misread Hydrometer)
Post boil 1.067 - Target was 1.069

I collected just over 12 litres of wort and then diluted with 6 litres prior to pitching to get my 1.042 OG and just under my 19L target.

Thoroughly aerated the wort with a good long shake in the cube then a good stir to froth up more. Then pitched my hydrated US-05 yeast, seems to be bubbling away but fairly calmly at the moment.

A few pics from my brewday

Grain weighed out and ready
grain.JPG

Doughed in and ready to mash.
mash.JPG

Wrapped up in a duvet, lost 0.1C over the 90 Mins
mash2.JPG

Hops ready to go
hops.JPG

Sparging
sparge.JPG

Hitting the boil