AG#2 - Untilted. A triple hopped american style pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
Tomorrow is another BIAB, this time with a tap on my pot (thanks Rob!) and a hop stopper (which I need to build tonight) which should mean less crud in FV and a much easier transfer.

The recipe is my own and it's really a test brew for a beer that I'll unleash on my colleagues later in the year...

...assuming it turns out drinkable of course!!! :lol:

Here's the plan:

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 8.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.4 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.00 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.5 EBC)         Grain         1        100.0 %       
25.00 g               Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min      Hop           2        21.0 IBUs     
10.00 g               Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min      Hop           3        5.5 IBUs      
5.00 g                Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        4        -             
12.00 g               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           5        5.9 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         6        -             
20.00 g               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days     Hop           7        0.0 IBUs      

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification  Add 36.20 l of water at 69.8 C          66.7 C        75 min        
Mash Out          Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min               75.6 C        10 min

There might not be too many pictures of this one - I've gone back on my promise from the last one of making sure I had nothing else to do which I was brewing, I'm buffet catering for eight adults and four toddlers on Sunday so will be prepping lots of food at the same time...

...wish me luck, I'm starting to think I'll need it!!! :cheers:

Good luck, looks like it will be a great brew!

I prepped a 3 course dinner for 8 when I did my first biab a few weeks ago, somewhat hectic but just about managed. Just make sure you set your alarms for hop additions!

JimmyB78 said:
Good luck, looks like it will be a great brew!

I prepped a 3 course dinner for 8 when I did my first biab a few weeks ago, somewhat hectic but just about managed. Just make sure you set your alarms for hop additions!

I'll be making full use of the iPad version of Beersmith with its brewday timers and alerts!!! :thumb:

Looks like a nice beer, save me one :thumb: :thumb:

If you are catering as well as brewing make sure the brewing takes precedent, If you don't produce any food you can just serve them beer that is nourishing enough (obviously soft drinks and chocolate for the kids :lol: :lol: )

graysalchemy said:
Looks like a nice beer, save me one :thumb: :thumb:

Of course!

graysalchemy said:
If you are catering as well as brewing make sure the brewing takes precedent,

I'm well enough practised at the cooking bit that I can pick it up and drop it at will. The beer, not so (yet)!

graysalchemy said:
If you don't produce any food you can just serve them beer that is nourishing enough (obviously soft drinks and chocolate for the kids :lol: :lol: )

Fair point, and this lot would probably be happy at that too!

All going well so far!

Just over the hour to get the pot to mash temp. Nice and steady temps so far.

Three batches of shortcrust pastry made in the meantime, a quick ham sarnie and a beer and it'll be mashout time! :thumb:

So everything went well in the end. Mash was straightforward, best guess was that I was within a litre or so of my pre-boil volume. Pre boil gravity was right on the button.

I seem to lose more in the boil than beersmith guesses, I reckon that's the vast surface area of the 70l pot at play. I was a good few litres down at the end of the boil.

Liquored back though I was bang on my OG. Amended the recipe on the fly with an additional 10g Chinook at flame out...

...just because I fancied it and had read some stuff about aroma and flavour hopping that suggested it was a good idea. Can't think of any better reason to dick around with recipes on the fly TBH.

Brilliant frosty night made chilling pretty simple and I pitched this morning. Only remembered that I hadn't aerated the wort as I sealed it up so figured that giving it a good seeing to with the DeWalt drill and paddle mixer would do more good than harm. :thumb:

No obvious activity just yet but I think I'm starting to see some gas production...

Fingers all crossed, got high hopes for this one. :)

Just opened a bottle.

Very, VERY happy!! It's turned out just as I like a pale. Easy on the malt, big on the bitterness, big on hop flavour and citrus aroma.

Needs time still, it's very green and will, I reckon, mellow to something really special. I reckon this time next month I'll have an absolute belter of a beer. :D

lol i am also doing one this week this way :thumb:

all-grain recipe
23 Litres = 5.1 Imperial gallons = 6.1 US gallons
FERMENTABLES:
50% = 5.75 lb = 2.6 kg, English two-row lager malt
20% = 2.3 lb = 1 kg, Pilsner malt
20% = 2.3 lb = 1 kg, Home-roasted malt (? 50-60°L)
6% = .69 lb = 313 g, Dark brown cane sugar (added to boil)
4% = .46 lb = 209 g, Oats (flaked, quick, steel-cut, porridge, pin-head, Scottish, etc)
HOPS:
.42 oz = 12 g, Centennial, 90 minutes
.42 oz = 12 g, Chinook, 90 minutes
.42 oz = 12 g, Centennial, 10 minutes
.42 oz = 12 g, Chinook, 10 minutes
.42 oz = 12 g, Centennial, dry hops added to secondary fermentor
.42 oz = 12 g, Chinook, dry hops added to secondary fermentor
MASH at 122°F/50°C for 30 minutes then raise to 152°F/67°C, 90-120 minutes total.
BOIL 90 minutes
YEAST: Kölsch strain, or Wyeast 1728, or US-05/Chico if you must.
STATS assume 77% mash efficiency and 75% yeast attenuation:
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.3%
IBU: 36
COLOUR: 13° SRM/26° EBC (will vary depending on the shade of your home-roasted malt)

Well I've just unleashed this on the colleagues... including the CEO...

...to universal approval. :party:

The comments suggested toning down the citrus and a little of the bitterness so for the final version I'll be scaling back the chinook and replacing a lot of it with willamette instead.

Very happy with that... :drink:

I read the title of this as "Untilted Tripple Hopped American"... I hope you and your colleagues are well tilted after a few :lol:

I did. And very nice it was too. The 6.25% bit caught me out though, I'm now feeling a bit dozy and lethargic... :cheers:

Latest posts

Back