AG#3 Brown Ale, pics added

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gurtpint

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is what I'm planning to brew on Thursday. The recipe is based on Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Szamatulskis' book "Beer Captured" and then tweaked a bit. The original recipe was for 19L and I'm going to do 23, so I scaled it up and then some more to compensate my so far moderate 60% efficiency. Comments/suggestions very welcome.

Pale ale 5830g
Crystal (light) 198g
Chocolate 118g

EKG 26g 90mins
Fuggles 13g 90mins
EKG 13g at 75mins

OG 1.050-ish, IBU 28, ABV 5,0%.

The boil in the book was only 60 mins so would that amount of hops be OK for 90mins too? I am also tempted to fiddle with the grain bill some more but I'm a bit wary since I've not used the malts I have in mind before... Would it be a good idea to replace some of the pale with brown or amber malt? How much of each, roughly?

Any other nice recipes of this sort worth considering, folks?

As for yeasts, I have S-04, S-05 and Nottingham. S-04 seems ever popular here, but would Nottingham suit a brown ale as well?

with that amount of pale you should be able to go to about 270g of crystal, if you go much more with the chocolate it will be in porter territory.

NOTTY or SO4 will be just fine US05 will not be very brown ale oriented though imho

UP

Cheers UP. Maybe I could scale the choc down a bit and add some brown malt for experience's sake? What about going along these lines (rounded the numbers so they look nice):

Pale 5830
Crystal 200
Chocolate 100
Brown 50

It's a choice between Nottingham and S-04 then. Would Notts produce a beer that's a bit more fruity in taste?

its amazing how effective choc malt is. must use with care. the first time i used it I accidently made stout. I stopped playing around with it as i do not like dark ale very much.

Stone Cold said:
its amazing how effective choc malt is. must use with care.

I've run into a few warnings in this regard and haven't ever used it before, that's why I err on the side of caution... I have actually liked many of the dark ales I've tasted, but would like this one to remain in the brown territory and do a dark ale later on. Dropping choc to 80 and upping the crystal and brown a bit? Hmm...

sounds good to me, if you dont end up with the beer you aiming for then you got a good excuse to get another brew started

in my personal opinion tho, Id not use the choc at all if you are after a brown ale. but thats just me I find brews with less different grains in can be better beer for my taste. but i realy only make and drink pales with lots of hops, and my last couple of brews I only use pale malt and lots of hops.

Indeed Stone, there's always the next one. I think I'll use choc anyway just to see how it goes. I like pale hoppy beers as well but want to try what my take on this style turns out to be like. I've been sneaking around a bit and discovered that many brown ales don't actually have any brown malt in them. Duh. Are they trying to make me believe that all India Pale Ale is not brewed in India as well then? Huh? Huh? I'll be weighing my grains tonight and have still some time to tinker with the grain bill should I get the urge to do so.

All set to go now. This is what I came up with:

Pale ale 5800g
Crystal 65 250g
Chocolate 90g
Brown 60g

EKG 30g 90mins
Fuggles 15g 90min
EKG 15g 15min

OG 1.050-ish, IBU 30-ish, SRM can't be bothered to work it out-ish.

Dunno if the brown malt can be tasted with such a small amount used but what the hell. Grains and hops weighed, equipment given the once over, boiler filled with mash liquor. Campden and Protafloc within reach. Will try to drag myself out of bed for an early start tomorrow.

Managed to stumble into the kitchen around 7 to switch the boiler on. This was my first chance to test my 40 liter SS Buffalo boiler. 24 liters got up to 82C in 50 minutes, conveniently just as I was finishing my breakfast. Added a bit of cold water and got it to 80, thinking it would be just about right with the heat loss during the transfer to the mash tun and stirring.

the saucy grain bill exposed piccy as seen through morning-blurred eyes
IMG_0041.jpg

where the buffalo roam
IMG_0046.jpg

The temp was around 68C as I was finished doughing in, some cold water was needed again. Nearly forgot about the Campden tabs but half of one did find its way in. I put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the mash to see if it would help prevent heat loss. Noticed that the batteries in my borrowed camera weren't up to the task so a quick trek to the nearest shop was called for.

the mash
IMG_0051.jpg

90 minutes later, sparging time. No problems here, had lost about one degree which I considered good going. The tun was drained after re-circulating about 6 liters . While the wort was not crystal clear, it was at the very least a lot clearer than with my two first brews. Added 15 liters of 78C water, messed around with the mash paddle and left it for another 30 minutes. It took more re-circulating after this to get a somewhat clear wort but after a few pitchers things were looking ok.

round and round...
IMG_0049.jpg

It had been suspiciously smooth sailing so far but of course there was some trouble lurking just behind the corner. Switched on the boiler with the first runnings as I started collecting the second batch. Dumped everything in... just to notice that some idiot had forgotten the hop strainer on the table. A few rather rude idioms later the boiler was empty again, strainer fitted in and everything could continue in a semi-orderly manner. Collected a little over 30 liters. BG 1.040. A nice rolling boil achieved just after noon. Time for more coffee. The rest of the hops, Protafloc, yeast nutritient and cooler in at 75 minutes. Also discovered that a nice rolling boil indoors can give you a sudden urge to wipe the condensed moisture out of the ceiling after getting a couple of nice drops on my head.

rolling rolling rolling
IMG_0053.jpg

Right, the boil finished, cooler on. Not sure of how the hot break went but at least I seemed to get a decent cold break.

the cold one
IMG_0057.jpg

Got the wort to ambient room temp quite rapidly – in fact I was going to leave it a bit warmer before turning the cooler off but got a bit distracted with the yeast rehydration. My first time doing this for a dry yeast and I managed to leave the boiled water outdoors for too long at first so I boiled some more water and kept a closer eye on that instead of faffing around waiting for the first try to become warmer.

in you go
IMG_0058.jpg

Sprinkled the Notts yeast on the water, covered the bowl with foil, waited for 15 mins, stirred, waited for yet another 15 mins, whisked into cream, mixed with an equal amount of cooled wort and finally, oh finally pitched the ******* after having given the wort in my FV a good splashing about. All done and dusted by 15:30, cleaning up included.

more filth
IMG_0059.jpg

I ended up with about 21,3 liters with the OG of 1.052. A bit less than I thought, as I didn't expect the boil loss be as much as 29% (8,7 L in 90 mins). Should I have taken it easier with the boil vigour? I suppose I could have liquored back a bit to hit 1.050 but this will do very nicely. The clearest wort (lovely dark copper) so far as well, Protafloc seems to work. Tasted good too. My efficiency still remains around 64% if got my numbers right which I'm not satisfied with really, so I'll have to start looking into water treatment as a possible solution. I think I'll also get a digital thermometer as my old workhorse is a bit inconvenient to use and I have some doubts about its calibration as well. It was a good day all in all and I was feeling a lot more relaxed and confident about what I was doing. More to come!

my precious
IMG_0060.jpg

do you think you got the grain build right for what style beer you were looking for in the end? looks like a brown ale to me :thumb:

Good looking brew man loks like you had a good day I forgot my hop strainer yesterday aswell! :cheers: :D :D

Ta everyone. A fun day it was. Ed - I think it might pass as brown ale, even though I'm not quite sure how the actual distinction is made. But it's a darker ale, more on the maltier side and not very hoppy, so for the time being I'll call it that. We'll see if I feel differently when I actually get to drink it. Mickey - we'll have to start teaching our strainers to behave!

Latest posts

Back