AG#3 recipe planned. Look OK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECLIPSE

Regular.
Reaction score
Going to be doing my 3rd all grain brew this Friday. Recipe as follows -

23 litre batch

90 minute mash at 65.6 degrees c

5kg MO
300g Carapils

90 minute boil in total.

30g Amarillo 9.2%AA at 60 mins

10g Amarillo 9.2%AA at 5 mins

60g Amarillo 9.2%AA at flame out. Steep for 20 mins at 90 degrees C.

Fermenting using US-05 yeast

Beersmith is estimating a very pale APA style beer with an ABV of 5.5%

Does this look ok for the style? I've only got 100g of Amarillo to play with so hoping this is making the best use of them.

In terms of the grain bill is it good as it stands? or would it be beneficial to add a couple hundred grams of crystal malt? For a bit more body/ colour.

I'm currently fermenting an extract Amarillo APA, has 60gr of amarillo in the last 10 mins (late + steep) for a 14 litre brew. It's still in the FV but if the aroma is anything to go by I've chosen the right amount of hops for my taste.

are you looking for a really low IBU
on beersmith it is showing only
18.8 IBU on a 21 litre brew?
i would go for at least 45 to 50 thats my taste though

and may be save 20 30 grams for dry hop some how
otherwise looks great

:thumb:

That's odd. On my beersmith it was coming out at 45 IBU. Which is right?

I noticed you have put Amarillo gold into it? I just selected "Amarillo" not sure if this has made any difference to the IBU calculations

Yep I changed the default AA to 9.2 which is what they are.

This has got me worried now. Which to believe....

This calculator for IBUs is showing 33IBU from just the 30g 60 minute addition and the 10g 5 minute addition

2e4usesy.jpg

Why are you not boiling your bittering hops for the full 90mins? :wha: :wha: Seems daft to me not to.

I would also save some of the flameout hops for dry hopping as some of your aroma will be lost in fermenetation, the rigours of fermentation is enough to drive of volatiles when co2 rises through the beer.

Your IBUs seem about right, my bittering default for an ale is 30g of Challenger at 8.5% AA and it works out at near enough 30 IBUs. Seems a decent recipe, let us know how it goes. :cheers:

Cheers for the tip GA. I'm new to AG so advice like this is greatly welcomed! Recipe adjusted!

I will be sure to get some brewday pics and maybe a video or 2 for YouTube.

So now I will do the following hop additions -

30g for 90 mins
10g for 5 mins
40g aroma steep for 30 mins

20g dry hop for 5 days then rack to secondary

Sound good?

+1 for the dry hopping.

Brewmate does not seem to increase the IBUs you will get out of your hops when you boil for more than 45 mins, so 60 mins more than covers the extraction as far as Brewmate is concerned. Whether there is any benefit of boiling them for longer, I can't say.

I think you'd be better to set your batch size to your post-boil volume (before kettle losses) in that calculator above. There doesn't look to be any field to enter those expected losses, so the IBU result given is probably based on all the extracted oils going into the 23L - which of course they won't. My set up would lose 3L or so, so I would set the 'batch size' to 26L on that calculator, even though that's not the proper use of the term... unless they say something about some sort of default kettle loss figure somewhere on there or something.

It adds a little more IBU on Beer engine. I get it 20 29 IBU. I would be looking for about 35-40 IBU, which would mean moving 10g of the late edition (flame out) to 90 mins which would give you 39 IBU's. :thumb:

Cheers guys.

So re revised hop schedule...

40g for 90 mins
10g for 5 mins
30g aroma steep for 30 mins

20g dry hop for 5 days then rack to secondary

This what you meant GA?

I would disregard the aroma steep and whack 40g in at five minutes. You will get the benefit of the steep as you cool the wort. It will also increase your overall IBU slightly.

You could also play around with the target 40 IBU by moving some from the 90 min boil to 5 minutes. You will get more flavour from it there.

Latest posts

Back