AG#4 Dogfish head 90 min IPA clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaffers

Reaction score
I used the following recipe substituting the amarillo hops for cascade:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP007
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.085
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 90
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 9SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2wks @ 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2wks @ 70
Tasting Notes: Dead on 90 minute clone

This is formulated at 70% efficiency, add or subtract 2-row to adjust to your efficiency.

16lbs 2-row
1.25lbs Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt* (see note below)
3oz Amarillo
1oz Simcoe
1oz Warrior
Mix all hops together, and hop continuously for 90min**
Mash at 149-150*
Ferment with WLP007 at 64*. Use a pitch rate calculator for your starter, you want around 300 billion cells.

Dry hop:
2oz Amarillo
2oz Simcoe

I doubled everything as I wanted a big batch and found that it only just fit in to my mash tun (and it's a biggy!) The continuous hopping was done at equal 7.5 minute intervals having mixed all the hops together. I will dry hop in two stages 7 days apart. I ended up with the OG being spot on, for a change, pitched my starter and went to bed at 2am, knackered.com!

If you have ever had this beer in the US (if you can find it) it is sublime! And yes I did follow the US units as a) couldn't be arsed to convert, and b) I may be living there soon so I may as well get used to the old ways again :grin:

I am excited about this one :thumb:

Good luck with this; I've read a few reviews of this beer, all good :thumb:

Is lager malt the equivalent of US 2-row? what are you using?

Maris otter pale malt. Not sure what the difference is. I hope to find out on my next trip over the pond.

Already got the recipe into BrewMate, thanks Gaffers :thumb: have a good day :thumb:

I should probably add that I decided to use quest smack packs again after last time's failure. This time they worked a treat and went to work with no delay. I did though have some safale on standby just in case.

Latest posts

Back