AG (G)old Hooky Clone - overnight mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich27500

Landlord.
Reaction score
DSC_0174.jpg

Did an overnight mash for the first time. Started at 11 a bit high at 68c, checked at 6.30 and it had dropped to 55c, I'd say that was a bit good for sitting on a towel covered in a couple of old coats. Boil on now, I'll be done by 9am!

Recipe from here http://hopville.com/recipe/169438
I made this before it's definitely Old Gold rather than Old Hooky, because it's too light, used Windsor and kegged last time and it was very very nice. This is for the bottle and will be one of the last brews for the Xmas presents (of course I will need to keep half for quality control)

Overnight mashes are ace. I find my efficiency goes way up when I use that method and that's before I've even got onto the time savings.

I like it.

K

the last 2 brews I've done overnight mashes and only lost 10 degrees over an 8 hr period, which aint too bad! saves a good bit of time the next day and its a bit like waking up on xmas day going downstairs to unwrap you mash! :D

Just got a cool box for a mash tun. Can you batch sparge doing an overnight mash? And do you mash out? Cheers

I overnight mashed for 15hrs :whistle: :whistle: and lost about 12c. Definately worth it also get fantastic efficiency. :thumb: Bit of a problem as my last beer which should have been 1050 ended up 1068 :oops:

What sort of sparge do you use after an overnight mash(temp,volume etc)?

Does an overnight mash work well with all types of beer?

If your gravity is too high can you add water to reduce the gravity?

Should you use cooled boiled water or can you use filtered tap water?

:cheers:

I just did what I always do with my modified BIAB approach. Unless you get freaky efficiency (I was already at 80%) then I don't see why the long mash changes anything.

For those that do not BIAB, do you need to add your sparge water at a higher temp to bring the temp of the mash up owing to the heat loss overnight?

I got efficiencies of 80%. You just need to sparge as normal but remeber your grain bed will be a lot colder so you may need to mash at a higher temp to reach a mash out temp of 70+ degc I used a temp of 85c to achieve this. If you don't then you won't disolve all the sugars and you will have a reduced efficiency. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back