AG number 2 tastes of bananas.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umfana

Reaction score
Hello all.
Long time lurker and relatively new brewer here.

My second AG brew was a Belgian Blond based on the recipe in Greg Hughes' book. It has come out tasting heavily of banana. Not a hint of fruityness. This is a hit of banana like supping on neat banana essence.

A bit of reading suggests this is an over production of esters. Probably due to it being in the fermenter during the heat wave and me not paying attention. I actually forgot about it so it was in the fermenter for five weeks in all.

Is there anything I can do to redeem the beer? Or should I just palm these bottles off on friends quickly to deplete stocks and try to pay more attention next time?

Umfana

How old is it? I wouldn't give up just yet, some conditioning time can work wonders.

It's been in the bottle for 4 weeks but as I say, 5 weeks in the fermenter. The yeast was safbrew t58. It's hard to say how warm it got as I was away a fair bit, but there was a heatwave so it wouldn't surprise me if the temp in the garage got to 24 or so give the outside got to 28 degrees apparently. It's a very sheltered and insulated garage so doesn't fluctuate in temperature much usually.

I think I'll palm this one off on relatives who don't know beer much and make sure I get a brew fridge set up. I acquired a fridge recently, but the built in ice box means I can't fit my fermenters in it. :-(

Thanks for the replies though.

Umfana.

I've never had bananas from t-58. but I pitched at 25 degrees and fermented at 22. maybe an old packet of yeast without much viability = underpitching = different flavour profile?

Latest posts

Back