Ageing temperature and kegerator query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osric

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a question before I irretrievably muller my fridge to fit 2 corny kegs. I was wondering whether I might get away with storing my second keg outside the fridge while it ages and what the downside of this would be bearing in mind in summer it may go higher than 20C and an uneven temperature at that. Having only one regulator this would mean that the outside keg would be receiving gas at the same pressure as the inside one so it would be hugely under carbonated, but I'm not particularly fussed about carbonation as I like to keep it as low as possible, basically just high enough to seal the keg. The only way I can fit 2 kegs in the fridge is to cut away the shelving slots where they sit proud. I intended to cover the exposed foam with self adhesive plastic sheeting, but it is clear its going to be very hard to do this perfectly enough for the sheeting to be 100% effective in preventing moisture seeping into the foam. Consequently I am having second thoughts about trashing the fridge. I would love to have both kegs in to effectively crash the beer, but I am keen to know the price I would pay in quality by ageing the beer at a higher and less stable temperature. Any tips on my quandary would be gratefully received.:cheers:

You could get a small chest top freezer, you should be able to fit 4 kegs in it if they're the usual kind. Otherwise I'd just butcher the fridge if I was you. Not much point having one keg sitting outside if it's not even in conditioning temps all the time. I got my freezer for £30 and a mate of mine got one of freecycle for free. They're ideal.

Latest posts

Back