Airlock issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2+2+2 is another brewing myth and will not lead to good beer.

I am not saying you are wrong but you appear to disagree with a lot of experienced brewers in the forum, i have stated many times i don't brew beer yet i have known about the 2 + 2 + 2 rule for years.

Last edited:
Last edited:
1674122822482.png

Correct and that's why my earlier post below said "many members use" not "it must ferment for 2 weeks" -

It has almost been 4 days of brewing now. Is that too soon to expect the bubbles to stop as fermentation slows down.

Chippy Tea posted - Yes four days is way too soon, get yourself a hydrometer and on day 10 take a reading.

Many members use the 2 + 2 + 2 method so two weeks for fermentation to finish.

Rule of thumb is an estimate that first time brewers can follow. But we are here on this forum to pass on good practice not to regurgitate the same message to brewers who want to improve their beer. Therefore I’m saying 3 rules.
1. Check your FG is stable and near or below 1010
2. Carbonate bottled beer at 20C and fill a PET bottle and check regularly until it’s firm.
3. Bottle condition based on OG , stronger the beer the longer to mature.

Rule of thumb is an estimate that first time brewers can follow. But we are here on this forum to pass on good practice not to regurgitate the same message to brewers who want to improve their beer. Therefore I’m saying 3 rules.
1. Check your FG is stable and near or below 1010
2. Carbonate bottled beer at 20C and fill a PET bottle and check regularly until it’s firm.
3. Bottle condition based on OG , stronger the beer the longer to mature.
2+2+2 works for me. It's a handy guide. No-one ever said your beer would be perfect after it.

I find that my beers rarely ferment out in 5-7 days. Often 7-10 is closer to the mark. 14 days gives time for the yeast to drop out and the beer to clear up. Sometimes I leave it longer. It does no harm. Time is rarely an issue for me. I always check the gravity has been stabilised (iSpindel) then leave it for at least a few days, if not a week or two (often working around when I have time to play with beer) before bottling. The longer you leave it in the primary (within reason) the clearer the beer gets, and the less sediment you get in your bottle.

I don't really understand the need for different steps of carbonation vs conditioning. It's not like it magically stops one an starts the other after 2 weeks. They both happen at the same time, with carbonation tailing off.
I tend to bottle after 2-3 weeks, then leave it at least 2-3 weeks before starting to drink it.

2+2+2 works for me. It's a handy guide. No-one ever said your beer would be perfect after it.

I find that my beers rarely ferment out in 5-7 days. Often 7-10 is closer to the mark. 14 days gives time for the yeast to drop out and the beer to clear up. Sometimes I leave it longer. It does no harm. Time is rarely an issue for me. I always check the gravity has been stabilised (iSpindel) then leave it for at least a few days, if not a week or two (often working around when I have time to play with beer) before bottling. The longer you leave it in the primary (within reason) the clearer the beer gets, and the less sediment you get in your bottle.

I don't really understand the need for different steps of carbonation vs conditioning. It's not like it magically stops one an starts the other after 2 weeks. They both happen at the same time, with carbonation tailing off.
I tend to bottle after 2-3 weeks, then leave it at least 2-3 weeks before starting to drink it.
So if you merge steps 2&3 then you don’t blindly follow 2+2+2 😂😂

Rule of thumb is an estimate that first time brewers can follow. But we are here on this forum to pass on good practice not to regurgitate the same message to brewers who want to improve their beer.

As you can see from the OP's quote below he is a new brewer who thought 4 days fermenting may be enough for it to have finished I posted the 2 + 2 + 2 to help him understand the basics I didn't say this is the way he has to do it or that everyone does it that way I also didn't say it's the best way to make beer it was a basic guide for him to follow which many brewers here have used in the past.

It has almost been 4 days of brewing now. Is that too soon to expect the bubbles to stop as fermentation slows down

As Chippy has said the OP is a new brewer and the 2+2+2 is a good bit of advice for new brewers to try and get a acceptable beer for newbies. From there all brewers adapt their methods with experience but for all new brewers I would always give the 2+2+2 advice.
The two weeks fermentation is to make sure that it has fermented out fully then cleaned up and also to make sure a inexperienced brewer does not bottle too soon and get bottle bombs

As Chippy has said the OP is a new brewer and the 2+2+2 is a good bit of advice for new brewers to try and get a acceptable beer for newbies. From there all brewers adapt their methods with experience but for all new brewers I would always give the 2+2+2 advice.
The two weeks fermentation is to make sure that it has fermented out fully then cleaned up and also to make sure a inexperienced brewer does not bottle too soon and get bottle bombs
Do you stick to this rule then?

Which bit of @the baron post below did you not get?
The baron posted - As Chippy has said the OP is a new brewer and the 2+2+2 is a good bit of advice for new brewers

Why are you turning this thread into an argument i have explained *several times why i posted the 2 + 2 + 2 advice there is no need to keep going over it.
*read post #28 again which you gave a like.

Last edited:
Which bit of @the baron post below did you not get?

Why are you turning this thread into an argument i have explained *several times why i posted the 2 + 2 + 2 advice there is no need to keep going over it.
*read post #28 again which you gave a like.
It not an argument I agree for novices use the rule but as you gain knowledge it has gaps. So people will use more scientific ways of working.

It not an argument I agree for novices use the rule but as you gain knowledge it has gaps. So people will use more scientific ways of working.

It appears you post then forget what you posted you didnt say that you agree for novices to use the rule your first post totally slated it -

Cheshire Cat posted - 2+2+2 is another brewing myth and will not lead to good beer.
The first 2 weeks is overkill, check your FG and if it’s stable across 2 days at around 1010 then it’s finished. I find with most dry yeast fermentation takes 5-7 days.
The second 2 weeks is wrong because it does take into consideration the temperature if you are bottling. Better to ensure 20C where you carbonate and fill a plastic PET bottle and see how firm it is after 2 weeks. However if you keg and force carbonate 1 week usually does the trick.
The third 2 weeks for bottle conditioning is the most wrong and far too short. As a minimum base the conditioning on the OG, I.e. for an OG of 1050 then 5 weeks and 1060 then 6 weeks, etc

Last edited:
Cheshire Cat posted - It not an argument I agree for novices use the rule but as you gain knowledge it has gaps. So people will use more scientific ways of working.

My 2 + 2 + 2 advice was in reply to the new members original post you then went on to say -

Rule of thumb is an estimate that first time brewers can follow. But we are here on this forum to pass on good practice not to regurgitate the same message to brewers who want to improve their beer.

The OP didn't ask about improving his beer making it was a simply asking if four days was enough for it to be fermented i gave the 2 + 2 + 2 answer as a guide and you belittled it by saying we are not here to regurgitate the same old message to brewers who want to improve their beer, i have a feeling members who do use the method and make excellent beer would disagree.

Here is your quote from post #36 -

Cheshire Cat posted - 2+2+2 is another brewing myth and will not lead to good beer.
The first 2 weeks is overkill, check your FG and if it’s stable across 2 days at around 1010 then it’s finished. I find with most dry yeast fermentation takes 5-7 days.
The second 2 weeks is wrong because it does take into consideration the temperature if you are bottling. Better to ensure 20C where you carbonate and fill a plastic PET bottle and see how firm it is after 2 weeks. However if you keg and force carbonate 1 week usually does the trick.
The third 2 weeks for bottle conditioning is the most wrong and far too short. As a minimum base the conditioning on the OG, I.e. for an OG of 1050 then 5 weeks and 1060 then 6 weeks, etc

Mountain out of a Mole Hill. 😂😂

Its a shame you are incapable of admitting you are wrong and instead of doing the decent thing as Stevieboy requested (below) earlier in the thread you carry on like a dog with a bone until its proved you were wrong by which time you have totally derailed the thread, you then end up posting "Mountain out of a Mole Hill" to try to save face, you couldn't make it up. :rolleyes:

11re.JPG

Last edited:
You obviously did not read the thread in full
"From there all brewers adapt their methods with experience but for all new brewers I would always give the 2+2+2 advice."
Does that not tell you that once a New brewer has got experience they can adapt their method onwards.
Which I have so I do not follow the 2+2+2 rigidly now as I have enough experience but sometimes I still follow it.
Hope that answers the question athumb..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back