Airlocks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaChild

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anybody please explain the differences between the various air lock designs available?

The forum wont let me post links, but search for the following on Wilko:
0240202 - Wilko Handy Airlock Rubber Bung 2pk
0240201 - Wilko Airlock/Rubber Bung 2pk

I imagine these both do the same sort of job, but which to go for and why? These are the kind of things I did not expect there to be options available in!

Thank you.

I went through the same dilemma, tried both and decided on the bubbler type, mate.
Smaller and much quieter.

Edit. That's the 'handy' type btw.

Yeh i have both and in the shed i use the noisy type which is not the handy type.
In the house i use the handy type because it is much quieter and the family don't complain.

Thanks for the replies.

I was looking at these again in Wilko at the weekend. The 'handy' variety do not look to be in three pieces as looks common for this style based on a quick web search. Can anybody confirm this? It looks that the 'hat' and 'cap' are one piece in the Wilko handy. Can anybody confirm? It was pretty hard to tell for sure with sure limited movement inside the packaging and I did not want to open a packet up!

Thank you.

That's right just 2 pieces, I have both types. I use any for wine and none for beer.

I use the two piece, straight-though ones for beer; the bubbly ones are impossible to clean if you have an over-enthusiastic fermentation which goes through them.

Latest posts

Back