Alastair70s brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JFYI, I don't cold crash my lagers:
- I've heard Jamil Zainasheff say more than once that lager yeasts can generate off flavours if you cool them too quickly - I think he suggests one degree (and I assume that's degrees F!) per day!!! I'm too impatient to wait that long!

Right.. So I might dump my yeast out of the fermenter and lower it one degree a day until it's down to 4 and then leave it at that for a few days just to get the last bit of yeast out.

My Czech Dark Lager recipe is here and I'm very pleased with it 👍🍻

Excellent.. Cheers, I'll give that a try at some point.

if you watch the series of videos on YouTube that The Malt Miller did with Budvar you'll find Budvar don't do a diacetyl rest, they just keep it at 10⁰C or so.
I've watched those.. Interesting series, especially the poring of the beer.. My those taps are expansive :eek: Not sure I could go down the hassle of the decoction though.

Apologies to @Alastair70 for hijacking your thread.

I've watched those.. Interesting series, especially the poring of the beer.. My those taps are expansive :eek:
Haha, yeah I thought that too - holy moly, HOW MUCH???!!!
Not sure I could go down the hassle of the decoction though.
I've done it once, earlier this year - I think it's worth doing even if only once just so you know rather than going on what you've read and heard
Apologies to @Alastair70 for hijacking your thread.
Haha - yeah, sorry dude (but I know you're just as nerdy and obsessive over this stuff so I figure you'll be ok with it 😂)

The ferm zone is full, Munich Dunkel on the left, Czech Pils on the right.
And to think I once said “I didn’t start brewing beer so I could make fecking lager”.
View attachment 93560
A few years ago a remember saying to this guy who used to come to homebrew club ( he was into Euro beers and lager) that I would never brew lager. Now I would say my preference is definitely towards Euro hopped beers more than American hopped beers and definitely loving quality lager.

@SMP Brewery @matt76 Enjoying the lager chat, that’s what brewday threads are all about.
Czech Pils update, 2 1/2 weeks in and it’s most of the way there. You could see the steady stream of CO2 bubbles from fermentation in the trial jar, particularly as it warmed up, which was quite cool.

IMG_2690.jpeg

First brewday of 2024. It's always good to get your lagers going early so it's a Munich Helles today.

Soundtrack: Tool, Porcupine Tree, Opeth

Water - slightly bitter profile
Ca 52, Mg 16, Cl 80, SO4 142

Fermentables
4.25kg Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner
350g Weyermann Munich II
100g Weyermann Melanoidin malt

Step Mash
30min - 62C
30min - 70C
10min - 75C

Hops
17g Mandarina Bavaria 8.5%AA - 60min (16IBU)
8g Saaz lupomax 8.4%AA - 15min (4IBU)

1/2 tab Protoflac - 15min

Yeast
WLP860 Munich Helles

Vitals
OG 1.054, EBC 9, IBU 20

I was heading for a significant overshoot on OG, so topped up the kettle with 1.5L water at the end of the boil. 22L in the fermenter at 1.054, it'll sit at 9C for 4 weeks before kegging.
Got the Czech Pils kegged and on gas while brewing, so it's been a productive day.

IMG_2778.jpeg

How long do you think you'll hold out before tapping the Czech Pils? 😉😈😇

Helles looks nice and clear already 👍

Out of interest, once you're done chilling the wort, do you let the crud settle out or just transfer everything over to the FV?

The ‘Heavy Bevvie’ got brewed today, it can do its thing while I’m away next week and still have a good 4 weeks or so to condition before the collaborative swap in March. I switched up the Pale Chocolate to full colour to keep BrewFather happy, but looking at the end result it was an unnecessary step. I tweaked the grain bill from the Zamil recipe in Brewing Classic Styles, the 20%+ crystal malt scared me a bit, and stuck with a water profile that should help balance any added sweetness.

Soundtrack: Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree front man, I am particularly loving his solo output at the minute)

Water 23L Batch

Ca 100, Mg14, Cl 78, SO4 148, HCO 72

Fermentables
3kg Pale Malt
400g Dinghams Cara MD 50
250g Munich I
150g Cara Munich II
150g Melanoidin
85g Chocolate malt

Mash - Single Infusion
60mins 67C
10mins 75C

Hops

24g EKG - 60min (15IBU)

Yeast
Brewferm Top - 2 sachets

22L in FV at 1.046, a slight overshoot. I’ll need to up my efficiency in BrewFather.

IMG_2838.jpeg
IMG_2843.jpeg

Had a busy couple of months, but back at it today. Brewed a 19L batch of Bière De Garde, over a month later than planned. Had to switch yeast as the Kölsch yeast I was going to use was end of life. Went with GEB’s own brand chico and will ferment cool to keep it clean.

Soundtrack: Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson

Water - amber balanced profile
Ca 147, Mg 10, Cl 149, SO4 163, HCO 91

Fermentables
2kg Boho Pilsner
2kg Pale Malt
405g Aromatic Malt
150g Torrified Oats
30g Chocolate Malt
30g CaraRed
405g Cane Sugar late boil addition

Mash
63C 60min
Mashout 75C 5min

70 minute boil
14g Magnum 70min
1/2 protoflac 15min

Yeast
Fermoale AY04

19L in FV as planned, all numbers hit spot on.

IMG_3167.jpeg