Alcotec 48 hour yeast - 5 day 20%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarke

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the homebrewing world. I recently invested in the kit to start fermenting the Alcotec 48 hour - 5 days 20% High Alcohol. I added the liquid carbon during the fermenting process.

Upon waiting 5 days the airlock stopped bubbling, I then siphoned it into the new fermenting bucket. Once it was in the new bucket, I took a sample into the trial jar and dropped in the Alcohol Spirit Metre (homebrew shop recommended this over a hydrometer). The reading I got was just below 0?! I do not understand this as it was bubbling like crazy for the 5 days! (I will try and add a video of the process).

Although I only added 21 litres of water, after checking this in the new bucket, it seems to be just under 25 litres, what on earth? I defiantly only added 21 litres?

Why did I not get an alcohol reading, I can slightly smell the alcohol upon opening the lid of the bucket.

I have added the Turbo Klear into the new bucket and it is in the process of clearing the liquid carbon now...

What I used:
8kg granulated sugar
Alcotec 48 Hour turbo yeast
40 degree water 21 litres
Liquid carbon (added into the 3rd day I believe, as this was recommended to me).
Turbo Klear

Thanks in advance,
Clarke

Hi C. The shop should not have recommended the spirit meter as these are only accurate above 25%ABV and on liquids that have been through another process... i.e..e spirits.

You still need a hydrometer to know when fermentation has finished.

The query with the volume of liquid being high is the sugar pluss the water.

Hope this helps

Matt

Welcome :cheers: Not sure why you are getting a zero reading, as by my reckoning you should have an SG of around 1.141 which would give you about 20% ABV. But I'm not familiar with a spirit meter.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I accidentally broke the spirit metre earlier (probably for the best). I guess the part I am concerned about is the alcohol content, should I be pretty much good to say I have at least 17-20%?

Also, was I okay to stop fermentation after day 5, this was when the bubbling stopped and the packet said it should take this long.

Appreciate your help.

Clarke

bobsbeer said:
Welcome :cheers: Not sure why you are getting a zero reading, as by my reckoning you should have an SG of around 1.141 which would give you about 20% ABV. But I'm not familiar with a spirit meter.

Thanks Bob :cheers:.

I think the part that threw me off of using a hydrometer, was that it looked really confusing and I didn't understand it (I do have one). Like, you're saying SG and 1.141, but this means nothing to me haha.

Thanks,
Clarke :cheers:

Clarke said:
bobsbeer said:

I think the part that threw me off of using a hydrometer, was that it looked really confusing and I didn't understand it (I do have one). Like, you're saying SG and 1.141, but this means nothing to me haha.

Thanks,

What is the reading on the hydrometer now? How did you stop the fermentation?

Matt

MattN said:
Clarke said:
bobsbeer said:

Thanks,

What is the reading on the hydrometer now? How did you stop the fermentation?

Matt

I haven't checked using the hydrometer, I added the turbo clear today, so I can check it when it has cleared tomorrow (hopefully). I stopped it by, siphoning it into another fermenting bucket (stirred to remove gas) and then added the turbo clear and stirred.

Clarke

Latest posts

Back