Ales and priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critty

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Question for you all. I normally make fizzy beers but I decided to make a Batemans XXXB clone. Everything went fine and I used some finings at the end and I got a wonderfully clear beer. However I used half a teaspoon of dextrose, I had loads left from making a prohibition kit, and 4 days in they don't seem to be getting gassy and I poured one out to see what was happening and no head formed.

Have I used enough sugar, have I used the right sugar, has the finings altered it all or have I made a complete balls up of it. It tastes great but is just as flat as a witches tit. If it needs more sugar can I simply add a bit more?

Nope it's as flat as a witches tit. When I make hefe I use 1 level teaspoon of cane sugar and it's semi fizzy by now but when I made this I use 1 heaped half teaspoon in ever bottle because I know ales aren't meant to be overly fizzy.

4 days isn't long enough critty it needs 7-14 days at room temp. If for any reason you've used more finings than required it will take longer :thumb:

Patience young padawan :grin:

Never used finings before in beer so didn't know what to expect lol. But I will leave it. Guess I am used to them yeast rich wheat beers and their easy corbonation lol.

Vossy1 said:
4 days isn't long enough critty it needs 7-14 days at room temp. If for any reason you've used more finings than required it will take longer :thumb:

Patience young padawan :grin:

I'm with Vossy see what's happening after a couple of weeks, much before that is too soon. it will take longer if the temperature is much below 18C.

Hope it turns out well but as long as the taste is good then fizzy beer is over-rated. :drunk:

i primed my first bottled bitter recently with half a tsp of dextrose and after a week it was plenty fizzy.

Latest posts

Back