Allow yeast to clean up or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayhead

Reaction score
Hi All

Sorry for newbie questions, but trying to understand the processes.

Having read several threads, when making a WOW, it is suggested to leave a week after initial fermentation to "allow yeast to clean up". Then add stabiliser etc.

However, others state that they like to stop fermentation around 995, so as I understand, to do this, you need to add stabiliser whilst it is still fermenting, so waiting a week after would make little difference. Or would it?

I have also made a few Beaverdale kits, and there is no mention of waiting after initial fermentation, as long as below 995 FG. Do the kits have something pre-added to compensate for this?

We used to leave a week after fermentation was finished as you say to let the yeast clean up after itself, a member decided to ignore the rule and risk a bad headache or worse bad guts and a headache, he never had either so tried with another wine, again no ill effects, several other members tried and found the same, i was one of them, to be honest most of my wines now get the extra week as i have several on the go at the same time, the old rule make more than you drink fits here.

Latest posts

Back