American Amber Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnymorris

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got a hangover from last night's Christmas party but got a brew going anyway. I'm kind of winging it today and just hoping I remember to do stuff as I go along. Here's the recipe;

3500g Crisp Maris Otter
650g Crystal
600g Munich
28g Cascade at 60mins
20g Cascade at 10mins

Planning to batch rather than fly sparge today 'cos it sounds easier.

Photo's to follow - if I can remember.

Collected 23.5 litres at 1.046 OG. Had to shorten the boil length as I had to pick up the kids from school but it worked out well.

Grain shot. Not very interesting I know but this is where all the goodness comes from.
DSCN1359_zpsec605cb1.jpg

Hops weighed out and a banana (not part of the recipe)
DSCN1362_zps39a2a32f.jpg

My set-up.
DSCN1360_zps66da0164.jpg

Cascade in at start of boil.
DSCN1363_zps948bce54.jpg

A wet day. There's only so many photo's you can take of a bunch of hops.
DSCN1361_zpse88c99a3.jpg

Yeah, thanks. It turned out to be bit tight on time... I had 2 hours from the end of the mash to sparge, boil and chill before rushing off to the school to see my daughter singing in the Xmas choir. That included a 20min rest between sparges.

I ended up having to reduce the boil to only 40mins and the chill to only 10mins before dropping into the FV and leaving to cool in the porch before running to the school. I pitched the yeast later in the evening and it's now bubbling away nicely.

All in all, not exactly a relaxing brew day noting I had a hangover, had to take my wife to the train station and car to the garage whilst the mash was on and then rush the rest of it but, bottom line, I have beer fermenting under my stairs.

Result.

Latest posts

Back