Another landlord...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battleaxe

Reaction score
So I purchased the Brewers friend app a few days ago and have this used it to do some calculations for a rough landlord extract recipe clone ish!

It is as follows

3kg extra light DME
95g crystal 140L
30g chocolate malt

Hops: IBU 27.7

25g challenger @60mins
5g styrian goldings @15
10g styrian goldings @ 0mins

WLP005 yeast

Brewers friend shows me it matches the style and the colour should be what I'm after!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or alterations as I said I'm not trying to make a clone just a Sister or brother of the original!

I personally would think about swapping the chocolate malt for crushed black malt and doubling the hops.
As its an extract brew what volume are you boiling? as this will have an impact on hop utilisation.

I'm hoping to boil 27L

Wouldn't that pump up the IBU? The style recommends an IBU of 26 so doubling it would be too much?

Ahh I didn't see that option in the calculator for the malts!

I remember doing a landlord extract brew before I moved up to all grain, (my notes are a bit shabby though).I remember copying the brew uk extract pack and it turned out pretty good.

So my £4.99 Brewers friend app isn't as accurate as I thought?

With the ingredients from the Brew Uk kit it tells me my ABV will only be around 3.8%

And my hop IBU will be 36.39?

To be honest I don't use any brewing software yet, I generally get ideas/advice from here or google or follow recipes from a book so can't help you with that part of it.

Back