Another newbie..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All PBs have a cap gasket
And some use finings. Some don't, including me. Most homebrewed beers will clear given time and gravity, and after carbing a cold place will help. But if you are looking for crystal clear beer early on it might be what you are looking for.
Read that a bit fast sorry, I thought it should have one, as for a cold place, the shed which is out of the sun when we have one.. is about the coldest place I can think of should be ok there right? I think I’ll leave the finings this time I don’t mind what she looks like
Thanks

Read that a bit fast sorry, I thought it should have one, as for a cold place, the shed which is out of the sun when we have one.. is about the coldest place I can think of should be ok there right? I think I’ll leave the finings this time I don’t mind what she looks like
Thanks
As soon as the yeast has consumed the priming sugar it goes dormant and falls out of suspension. A cold place helps this process but is not essential.

As soon as the yeast has consumed the priming sugar it goes dormant and falls out of suspension. A cold place helps this process but is not essential.
Ahh I see, hence the scum at the bottom? So giving clearer beer? One more thing.. if I prime with sugar this will produce the co2 I shouldn’t need to gas until I start to pour from the barrel? Provided to barrel seals as it should..
cheers

Ahh I see, hence the scum at the bottom? So giving clearer beer? One more thing.. if I prime with sugar this will produce the co2 I shouldn’t need to gas until I start to pour from the barrel? Provided to barrel seals as it should..
cheers
The sludge at the bottom of the FV is called trub. If you do kit brewing only and dont add extra hops or grain, it is nearly all dead or dormant yeast cells.
You can prime with sugar, thats what I do. You neeed no more than about 95g table sugar. Any more and you will initially find it difficult to pour liquid rather than foam. As you draw off your beer the internal pressure drops. In summer or a warm place you might be able to dispense the complete PB contents without the need for gas, as I do. If the PB is kept cold you won't do that so you will need to reprime or gas up probably half to two thirds down.
Finally I suggest you read this which might still be of help
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/

Thanks again I’m feeling much more confident now :) I’ll keep you posted on how I get on :)

Latest posts

Back