Another Priming Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondlife

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't find any definitive guidance on how much priming sugar to add for a good secondary fermentation. Following the recent exchange of views elsewhere about whether or not brewing is a science or a craft, I know there's unlikely to be a "definitive" answer, but some consistency of guidance would be really helpful.

Here's my problem. I've brewed 5 beer kits so far (still wearing the 'L' Plates!) and all give different instructions on the amount of priming sugar to add. I've weighed out a level teaspoon of granulated sugar and it weighs in at 5g.

Brewmaker Scottish Heavy 80/- = 10.0g/litre (max of 1 tsp or 5g/500ml)
Brewferm Pilsner = 8.3g/litre (100g/12 litres)
Brewferm Amber Ale = 8.3g/litre (100g/12 litres)
Woodforde's Wherry = 5.0g/litre (1/2 tsp or 2.5g/500ml)
Muntons Connoisseur IPA = 3.7g/litre (85g/23 litres)

1. Does the amount of priming sugar depend on the type of beer being brewed?
2. Why would the 80/- allow almost 3 times the amount of priming sugar compared with the IPA?
3. Am I just thinking about this too much and not drinking enough? :whistle:

pondlife said:
1. Does the amount of priming sugar depend on the type of beer being brewed?
2. Why would the 80/- allow almost 3 times the amount of priming sugar compared with the IPA?
3. Am I just thinking about this too much and not drinking enough? :whistle:

SImply, the amount of priming sugar depends on the amount of fizz you want in your beer. Pilsners will want more than a barley wine for instance. Even within the same style, people have different preferences.

There are calculators for working out the exact amount of sugar for a certain volume of CO2 in the beer, although this also depends on temperature.

For a 5g barrel, I don't like much fizz but I don't want it flat. I'd use 50g for a normal ale. Or half a tsp or one carbonation drop per pint bottle. Some people use 80g. For a pilsner, you're not likely to get the required amount of carbonating in a pressure barrel, you're better off using cornies where you can force carbonate to a higher pressure. In bottles, I'd probably use 1 tsp of sugar for priming.

Experiment for your own personal preference.

JB's reply is spot on :thumb:
It's all down to personal taste, so take his advice and experiment.
With the one brew try bottling with some at 1/4 tsp, some at 1/2 tsp and some at 1 tsp.
I personally use 500ml PET bottles, that way I can monitor the degree of conditioning by merely squeezing the bottle.

Best of luck :D

Pond, you might find this useful from Palmer's book; he give a list of volumes of CO2 for various styles

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

I used his nomograph (all of this is an education innit) when recently priming a Belgian Blonde (Design a Brew from Hamstead Brew Centre) and I used it to work out 2.5 volumes of CO2 = 6g/L of glucose (corn sugar in US); it came out very well carbonated.

You would also need to adjust dependant on your FG, as you could prime a drier beer more than you could one at say 1015, although I stand to be corrected on this.

There is a bit more from Yobrew and PET bottles I also found useful

http://www.yobrew.co.uk/beer.php#Priming

Good luck :drink:

Thanks for the quality replies, lads.

You're spot-on with your suggestion to experiment, jamesb. Having re-read my list of beers it's clear now that each different style would probably benefit from a different amount of priming.

I use glass bottles exclusively for storing my beer, but I like the idea of trying different amounts of priming sugar within the same brew. Thanks for the tip, evanvine.

Good Ed said:
...all of this is an education innit...
And thanks, Good Ed, for the info and those links. Very instructive - an education is dead right! :thumb:

Back