Another stuck Wherry - what can I do??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I'm new to all this too and seems my first brew a St Peter's golden ale is also stuck at 1020 after 8 days! Tested on day 6,7,8 all the same reading

I've moved it to a warmer place and given it a stir going to leave it for a week then test again!!

If it's not changed not really sure what to do, read about raisins but don't these affect flavour also adding yeast and nutrients don't they affect the flavour??

I chucked in a handfull of raisins and a little squeeze of tomato puree and gave it a stir(thanks Slid) and it seemed to do the trick.
Give it a lttle time then try again,it will get there in the end with any luck

Good luck I think mine was solved by a stir as it dropped from 1020 to 1018 the day after the stir! That was Monday I haven't touched it since but was planning on bottling at the weekend!

Very annoying as it's more of a shandy than a beer! It seems this is so common,

I've moved mine upstairs where it's warmer and had it on a heat pad since Wednesday. Fingers crossed there will be some improvement because it's being bottled this weekend regardless!

Good luck with yours.

Good work DrMick - sounds like yours has sorted itself out.
I've had partial success with mine, with a hydrometer reading of 1.016 yesterday. It's been sat in FV for so long now that I decided to bottle it no matter what this weekend and that's what I did this evening. It's going to go one of three ways:

1) continue the theme of lousy fermentation and do nothing in the bottles, leaving me with flat beer.
2) finally do something and end up a little fizzier than normal with a extra sugar adding to the half teaspoon of priming sugar.
3) explode in the bottles!

I'll be happy with outcome 2, but I'm planning to only give it one week warm conditioning so as not to push my luck. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Wherry update:

Well despite having planned to only give my bottled Wherry one week warm conditioning, I decided to give it two in the end. The recent turn in the weather has cooled the temp in the house so I thought the carbonation might take longer than normal.

I couldn't resist testing a bottle today just to see if it had done anything since bottling - this having been the most problematic kit of my short brewing career. So I chilled one last night and cracked it open at lunchtime.

Success! A pleasing hiss as the cap came off and a nice amount of bubbles in the glass. It was obviously very green taste-wise but still quite acceptable and retained its head to the bottom of the glass.

I carried out the same test with the St Peters Ruby Red ale that I bottled at the same time as the Wherry. Strangely, this one had less carbonation despite the yeast being much more active in the FV (the bubbler air lock was still giving an occasional glug right up to bottling day).

Well, I'm pleased it's turned out well despite all the trouble it caused. Now to get them into the garage and see how they condition. Should be nice for Christmas.

Glad to hear it's going well Hopmonster,it will only improve from this point,I'm drinking mine at present and its a decent pint,crystal clear now although quite a bit of sediment in the bottle compared to other brews,not that this means anything,just a little less beer per bottle!
Regarding your priming mate,why dont instead of bothering with teaspoons of sugar,just batch prime? I used to use carb drops but got fed up,once I tried batch priming I never went back.just chuck in 5 or 6 g per litre,let it settle for 5 mins (I don't even stir it now) and away you go :thumb:

Back