Any Black Friday/Discount Codes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump anyone else got any other black Friday deals or clearance close to the BBE?

Ideally looking for wine kits.

Most of the wine kits are not really a great deal.

Most of the kits are far past the BBE and only really discounted by £10-£15 each.

At least when B2B sold kits even close to the BBE date they appropriately discounted them.

With these kits months past the best before they'll almost certainly need to be brewed quickly and with new yeast. Considering the yeast is nearly always the first thing to expire in kits.

A £15 discount on a kit 6 months past the BBE which usually retails for £76? by the time you replace the yeast you've saved £11 ish..

Do you really have to pay £76 for a wine kit? How many bottles does it make? I could buy 12 bottles of good wine for that price.

Well you don't but the difference is night and day, literally.

The £40-£50 kits produce a wine similar to what you would get in the £20 price range from supermarkets.

The £70+ kits produce a bottle far superior to anything in the £20 range from supermarkets. The only shop bought wine which I can compare my Cabernet Merlot Reserve (Winexpert) bottles to is a bottle of vintage malbec which cost £45 for the bottle.

Considering these kits make 30 bottles the price to quality ratio is excellent.

Just not really worth paying £58.99 for a kit which is months past the BBE when it retails for £76.99.

Keep in mind, the wine kits in the £20-£30 range contain about 1-3 litres of grape concentrate. The kits around £50 should give you about 5 litres and the kits £70+ can contain anything from 8-14 litres of grape concentrate in a 30 bottle kit. As you can imagine the quality per price range is a huge factor.

To be clear.I wasn't recommending those wine kits,.just sharing the link I saw when I bought some hops.
I only make country wines from fruit I've picked myself.
Home brew beer is comparable.or better than shop bought, the same can't be said for wine in my book.

I made wine from Boots kits back in the 80’s along with their beer kits. I went back to Homebrew beer about 12 years ago but the Boots kits put me off homemade wine forever.

Do you really have to pay £76 for a wine kit?

No you don't.

I make kits from the cheaper end of the price range and always have, The Range Store sell kits *made for them by Beaverdale these range from £20 - £25 and the finished wine is great, i don't know if a bottle of this wine would compare to a £20 shop bought bottle as i have never paid that much for a bottle of wine.
We have also made many WineBuddy and Solomon Grundy kits and they have turned out well, maybe the old saying horses for courses fits this post well.

* This has been reported many times in the forums but i have never seen any evidence.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

What I mean is that it depends a lot on you. As in are you the type of person to go to Aldi and pay £4 for a bottle of wine or can you actually appreciate a £20 bottle from the supermarket.

If you want something comparable to your average £4-5 bottle then definitely, the cheap £20-£30 kits will suffice. Definitely for whites and roses anyway!

When it comes to someone with a fine taste for quality reds. Then you'd be lucky to find that in the £50 range. And the £70+ kits definitely give you that.

As @Chippy_Tea summed up perfectly (horses for courses fits this post well).

Personally after trying the more expensive kits (£50+) and learning to appreciate vintage reds, I just can't do the whole cheap red wine thing like I used to. Literally poured 20 bottles of my last Solomon Grundy gold cabernet sauvignon kit down the drain last week as it wasn't getting drank.

Yes I've probably turned into a classic wine snob but I still like my cheap as chips beer and gin!

So not "literally night and day".

Solomon Grundy Gold Merlot - thin, light in colour being more off brown than red, watery with not much body, low alcohol, doesn't really age well over 12 months. Tannins extremely low hence the lack of colour and body making the wine taste more like alcoholic ribena. Typical of most of the cheap supermarket bottles in the £5 price range, thin, watery and non existent body. Does the job for most people because that's what most people define as "red".

Winexpert Cabernet Merlot Reserve - Deep, earthy and heavy body. Lots of complex flavours other than fruity. Ages great and gets better with every year of age. Heavy tannins meaning the wine needs at least half a year before drinking. Lots of savory flavours with hints of spice and charred french oak.

So yes, the difference is night and day.

How hard can it be to comprehend that the difference between a kit containing 2 litres of grape concentrate and a kit containing 14 litres of grape concentrate will be huge?? It's like comparing red top milk to blue top milk, the difference is massive!

Yes, you may personally prefer the red top milk but that doesn't make the difference any less huge!

As @Chippy_Tea summed up perfectly (horses for courses fits this post well).
Personally after trying the more expensive kits (£50+) and learning to appreciate vintage reds, I just can't do the whole cheap red wine thing like I used to. Literally poured 20 bottles of my last Solomon Grundy gold cabernet sauvignon kit down the drain last week as it wasn't getting drank.
Yes I've probably turned into a classic wine snob but I still like my cheap as chips beer and gin!

There have been many threads about trying to make a good quality red from cheaper end kits the general opinion is don't bother it'll never happen but as said whites and Rose wines can be decent if you don't have a taste for expensive wines.

I started out making supermarket juice wines my bar was never set very high. ;)

So yes, the difference is night and day.

How hard can it be to comprehend that the difference between a kit containing 2 litres of grape concentrate and a kit containing 14 litres of grape concentrate will be huge?? It's like comparing red top milk to blue top milk, the difference is massive!

Yes, you may personally prefer the red top milk but that doesn't make the difference any less huge!

WOW i bet he wished he hadn't asked.

Latest posts

Back