Any brewing scientists/organic chemists here?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancsSteve

Reaction score
I'm currently doing my PhD research on sensory learning - based around how people learn to and are assessed as sensory judges - specifically for beer tasting.

One area of literature I'm really struggling to get to grips with is the beer chemistry end of it - the terms and words I need to use and know to search effectively and find the papers on how, in particular, flavours ad aromas are put in to beer (e.g. hop isomerisation, and aromas being released (volatile aroma aerosolisation???)) :hmm: :?

If there's anyone who's got that kind of organic chemistry background who fancies geeking out it would be awesome. Part of it is translation from lay language to scientific terms, part of it is finding good papers / the right journals.

E.G. papers like Biotransformation of Hop-Derived Monoterpene Alcohols by Lager Yeast and Their Contribution to the Flavor of Hopped Beer which I've got hopelessly lost in.

In particular I am searching for equations and models that show the release of odor molecules into the air that are then perceivable.

My background is so NOT scientific this might be a world of problems/incomprehensibility but I'm hoping to try and show some of the interaction of the beer and the judge along with the interactions between judges when they compare perceptiosn in the transcripts of judging procedures and conversations.

Biotransformation of Hop-Derived Monoterpene Alcohols by Lager Yeast and Their Contribution to the Flavor of Hopped Beer ...

I was only just reading this, this morning as the cornflake box got lost.... :roll: :roll:

Good luck to in your research...you lost me at the beginning.

piddledribble said:
Biotransformation of Hop-Derived Monoterpene Alcohols by Lager Yeast and Their Contribution to the Flavor of Hopped Beer ...

I was only just reading this, this morning as the cornflake box got lost.... :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LancsSteve: I wish you the very best of luck, even the title of that paper was beyond me :)

I am currently doing a PhD in chemistry (solid state) but know the basics of organic chemistry. I will send you a PM and help out where I can. I probably have a few textbooks you could have to explain terminologies and the basic chemistry. I will let you know tomorrow :thumb:

I am Msc microbio and biochem and did organic chem in 2nd year as an undergrad.

That was 10 years ago mind! :shock: feck I'm old!

Mind, if you're looking at volatility and such things, you're probably looking at some pretty hardcore thermodynamics which is well beyond me.

Back