Any Suggestions With these hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Recently I took a chance and paid £3.each for luck dip hops at The Malt Miller I subsequently got 100g each of Strata & Ih033. Has anyone ever used these. Strata has an Alpha of 14.2% & Oh033 has an Alpha of 3.9%.
I have 2 x 1 can (mangrove jacks) pale ale extract kits to make 5 gallons each.
I do like a happy beer and would be more than willing to try whatever is suggested in the replies. Ty

Lorìen. A Saison might be nice, but I think something more subtle like a golden ale, perhaps an American Pilsner (modern craft brewery style, not mass market) would really suit them, or if you wanted to be bolder an IPL.

Sabro. IPA is the obvious route. American Brown Ale would be my choice. I think the tangerine and coconut would sit well with chocolate malt and some sweetness from crystal. Would involve steeping some grain though.

Last edited:
so what about 50g of each in my two 5 gallon extract kits or not.? Or Would you use different ratios if doing them together as would one overwhelm the other? Just that I have these two packs and would like to use them but don't want to waste beer if they just don't go with each other....cheers

From the sounds of it Lòrien is more like the subtle noble hops so a lager, pseudo lager, Kolsch or light Saison. The Strata sounds more like what you'd find in IPAs as a dual purpose hop as well as dry hopping. I think a golden ale would also work well.

I don't think I'd use them together, it would be like using saaz and citra together, yes it would be fine but the citra would dominate and the saaz would be wasted.

I'd do them separately as a single hop for the first brew and then see how they turn out and then next time explore what other hops they can complement.

Last edited:
The sound of a smash with the 100g of strata.appeals to me very much indeed. However I am not really a lager drinker and.prefer.something with a bit more taste. So would doing a smash with my pale ale kit and 100g of ih033 ( basically as mentioned a lagery type of hop) still be worthwhile doing or can u recommend an ipa type hop you think might work well with it without overwhelming it?.

I got the ih033 as a mystery hop too, and I plan to use them in a German-style Pils.

That's what I'm meaning. basically this hope is really only good for lagers or very light drinking beers correct? and If I had to add 100g as a dry hop to my pale ale extract kit i would likely not notice it much or indeed at all. Therefore would it be a worthless exercise or can anyone maybe suggest another hop that would go nicely with it?

It's not so much that you won't notice it. More a case of, if you add it to an APA kit, you won't get the bold flavours you typically get in an American Pale Ale.

A bit like adding a bunch of parsley to a curry, instead of coriander. You'll taste it, however, Parsley is better suited to other dishes.

Not that there's anything wrong with doing a SMASH with that kit. You'll just end up with a generic beer that tastes of that hop.

From the sounds of it Lòrien is more like the subtle noble hops so a lager, pseudo lager, Kolsch or light Saison. The Strata sounds more like what you'd find in IPAs as a dual purpose hop as well as dry hopping. I think a golden ale would also work well.

I don't think I'd use them together, it would be like using saaz and citra together, yes it would be fine but the citra would dominate and the saaz would be wasted.

I'd do them separately as a single hop for the first brew and then see how they turn out and then next time explore what other hops they can complement.
Lórien is a lovely hop if you let it come through. A nice pale summer ale or a GPA is ideal. Put plenty in late in the boil to get the best out of them. Easily overwhelmed, unlike Galadriel and Celeborn.

Last edited:
I've used IH033 in a pilsner, was nice, should probably have used more than I did and aimed to make more like an Italian Pilsner as they have a real nice flavour and aroma to them.

Latest posts

Back