Anyone got a yeast bank?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've recently been getting into yeast and have bought a bunch of books, etc. I've also slowly been building up a bank of strains and I wondered if anyone had a similar thing going?

I've got the following sat in my beer fridge either as harvested yeast or a vial :

WLP001 California ale
WLP004 Irish ale
WLP005 British ale
WLP090 San Diego Super
WLP862 Cry Havoc
WLP550 Belgian Ale
WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

What you all got in storage? Anyone fancy trading anything?

K

You should speak to Calum - at least one chap in the Scottish Craft Brewers is WELL into his yeasts - probably doesn't stay terribly far from you either :drink:

BigYin said:
You should speak to Calum - at least one chap in the Scottish Craft Brewers is WELL into his yeasts - probably doesn't stay terribly far from you either :drink:

Ironically......when I was at his on Saturday I donated the yeast for that brew!

K

Sorry - what I meant was, speak to Calum, to get you in touch with the chap from the SCB who's seriously into his yeast :lol:

Dunc :thumb:

I have taken to freezing mine, 50% yeast, 25% sterilized water and 25% glycerol.

I have been sent some nice swaps and got a few more coming but I need to culture them up first. Also got plenty of Old Rosie cider yeast for the TC.

We need to get a yeast swap thread going, there must be a fair large collection of different yeast strains amongst us all.

:hmm: :hmm:

BigYin said:
Sorry - what I meant was, speak to Calum, to get you in touch with the chap from the SCB who's seriously into his yeast :lol:

Dunc :thumb:

Ahhhh - makes sense now

Ta

K

Working on it, I only have Windsor, SO5 and some I'm not allowed to swap or even really talk about, but I'm really getting into the cultivation of different strains. The problem is that it's just ANOTHER variable in how to make my perfect brew. I wish it was simple :p

The Goatreich said:
and some I'm not allowed to swap or even really talk about

Interestingly, I have one of those too!

I work for a brewery and acquired a wee sample earlier this year.

K

Glad to know I'm not alone there then :) I've not brewed with any of the strains I have yet, but at some point I'll do a 5 gallon batch and do a DJ of each of the "special" strains measured against US05.

I have wrestled with this for ages. I have come to the conclusion that its best to use just a couple of yeast strains for the beers that you like to make. Otherwise you could end up with mutated yeasts all over the place and very variable results.

There is a reason why Comercial Breweries use just one yeast for all beers and I think that the above is the reason

Also if you know what the yeast is supposed to do then it helps.

Personally I like the yeast from Fullers BL...WLP002 and Thwaites yeast.

As I seem to brew the same beers time and time again

Hi Kev
I've got some WLP802 and WLP002 if you are interested.

Bertie
PS: Did you fit the tap to your shiny?

lambert said:
Hi Kev
I've got some WLP802 and WLP002 if you are interested.

Bertie
PS: Did you fit the tap to your shiny?

Cool. Is there anything of mine you'd like as a trade?

K

Back