Apple Cider Vinegar.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddsy

Regular.
Reaction score
I saw this vid on youtube about making apple cider vingar so thought Id give it a go.

Had some apples in the garden which I didnt eat due to having codling moth maggots. I chopped them out and followed the lady on the vid.

316711145_822446805748968_5181296091144625416_n.jpg

So I added the apples water and sugar and left for natural yest to do its thing.

Seems to have worked fermenting to that stage where the apples drop to the bottom.

I sieved the apples out and now have it sitting in the garage hopefully be ready in march.

A Scobey like in kombucha should form which does sound a bit gross but thats nature!

I am planning to use this in gardening for dissolving egg, snail & mussel shells as per Korean natural farming methods.

buddsy

Last edited:
I make a turbo cider then leave it open to the air. Might add some from the last brew. But this is for my consumption - a bl**dy sight cheaper than the shop stuff. And I prefer the taste.

So, you go for natural vinegar fermentation? Anyone else for who this did work, i.e. without using a an already existing scoby? I would like to do the same, I still have here some old bottles of wine and 4 l of of wine which has a bit of an off taste.

"I make a turbo cider then leave it open to the air."

To clarify, I actually use an open top jar with a paper kitchen towel across the top, held in place by a rubber band, to keep flies and dust out but allow microbes and air in.

Anyone else for who this did work, i.e. without using a an already existing scoby? I would like to do the same, I still have here some old bottles of wine and 4 l of of wine which has a bit of an off taste.
Mine has a distinct vinegar smell already and have not used any existing scoby. The lady in the vid at the top says you can add some unpasteurised existing cider vinegar if you have it to help it along. Im not sure if you can buy unpasteurised wine vinegar to help you?

"I make a turbo cider then leave it open to the air."
Does it come out ok to consume? Does it taste ok?

buddsy

Mine has a distinct vinegar smell already and have not used any existing scoby. The lady in the vid at the top says you can add some unpasteurised existing cider vinegar if you have it to help it along. Im not sure if you can buy unpasteurised wine vinegar to help you?
That is the main reason to ask if it also works spontaneously. I don't find any unpasteurised vinegar here.

Does it come out ok to consume? Does it taste ok?

buddsy
Mine tastes OK, I've been using it for over a year now and I'm happy with the taste. My family tell me it has more apple taste than the bought stuff, which is fine by me. I usually dilute it with warm or slightly hot water, which seems to bring out the taste more.

Unpasteurised ACV is easily available in the UK, "Aspall" is one brand - often sold as "with the mother", i.e unfiltered. I have heard that the microbes present in finished ACV are not the same ones that you need to get it started. However, I don't think it's actually necessary, when you're brewing it's harder to avoid making vinegar!
I also understand that 5% vol of alcohol is preferred. Stronger leads to a more acidic vinegar which becomes unsafe to drink neat. I haven't tried to verify that, since my turbo cider is around that vol anyway.

Drinking ACV 10 mins or so before a meal containing carbs (20ml in 40ml water) has been shown to reduce glucose spikes in the bloodstream after the meal. I have tested this with a blood glucose monitor and it works using my homebrew ACV, so I must be doing something right.

I also understand that 5% vol of alcohol is preferred. Stronger leads to a more acidic vinegar which becomes unsafe to drink neat.

On vinegar doesn't the 5% describe the acidity level?

In the vid I posted the lady says some people say to leave their concoction for 4 weeks to develop as a vinegar but the lady says she leaves hers for 3 months to taste more like the shop bought stuff.

I don't know the process it undergoes to become vinegar. I would think it couldn't just go mega strong and become 20% acidic?

buddsy

I was told that %ABV converts to % acid - I have not separately verified this.

I believe that the acidification stops when all the alcohol has been converted, as the alcohol is the fuel for the process. Mine doesn't seem to get more acid over time. I try to leave it several weeks, but as I make a gallon at a time a brew lasts me a while.
Hadn't really noticed the taste change over time, and I rarely use the shop stuff these days.

I was told that %ABV converts to % acid - I have not separately verified this.

The only thing I could add is I have some apalls red wine vinegar in the cupboard and that says 6% acid. I would have guessed any red wine would have started at least 10% ABV?

Good news is youve been not having to buy it.

buddsy

Latest posts

Back