Are people

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the Darwin awards.
I can't remember all the details of the next one but it goes something like this;
A Chemist and inventor Thomas Midgley knew that car engines knocked sometimes so invented a compound that would prevent pre-ignition and so unleashed Lead tetra-ethyl into the world. This has caused more pollution and brain damage than any other product. When he finally realised how poisonous it was he became depressed so tried to invent something else. He came up with a gas that was safer than ammonia for use in refrigeration systems, and patented a chlorinated flourocarbon gas - CFC to be used in fridges. This was so stable it didn't decompose in normal use - but has managed to produce a hole in the ozone layer of the planet almost single-handed!

He didn't get off completely unscathed though. Because of an illness he was confined to bed, but being the inventor he was he developed a system of ropes and pulleys to make sitting up in bed easier, but one day he got caught in the ropes and managed to strangle himself to death with it!

I love the Darwin awards.
I can't remember all the details of the next one but it goes something like this;
A Chemist and inventor Thomas Midgley knew that car engines knocked sometimes so invented a compound that would prevent pre-ignition and so unleashed Lead tetra-ethyl into the world. This has caused more pollution and brain damage than any other product. When he finally realised how poisonous it was he became depressed so tried to invent something else. He came up with a gas that was safer than ammonia for use in refrigeration systems, and patented a chlorinated flourocarbon gas - CFC to be used in fridges. This was so stable it didn't decompose in normal use - but has managed to produce a hole in the ozone layer of the planet almost single-handed!

He didn't get off completely unscathed though. Because of an illness he was confined to bed, but being the inventor he was he developed a system of ropes and pulleys to make sitting up in bed easier, but one day he got caught in the ropes and managed to strangle himself to death with it!

Not many people can lay claim to burning a hole in the atmosphere of a planet. It's probably a good job he accidently killed himself. Lord know what sort of death dealing invention he would have come up with next if he hadn't
icon_lol.gif

Two women I knew thought China was next to Spain. Another didn't know what sperm was or did (although had two kids).

Two women I knew thought China was next to Spain. Another didn't know what sperm was or did (although had two kids).

I remember a question on Yahoo answers, where a girl had asked " I am pregnant but as it was with a boy and a girl - am I the mother?" :doh:

How not to cure your termite problem-

Alfred, 63, in 2004, West Virginia decided that as natural gas was dangerous, he figured it would be a good, low-cost way to fumigate his house. So he closed the doors and windows, turned on the gas, and spent the night in a nearby camper van with his wife.
The next morning he stepped out of the camper, took a breath of the clear, crisp air, and strode over to his house.
When he opened the door, the slight spark from the latch ignited the mixture of natural gas that had accumulated inside his home. The force of the explosion blew him off the porch and into a nearby river, knocked out the town's telephones and electricity, and blew the doors off a nearby church. The blast rattled windows and nerves six miles away.

Needless to say his house didn't have termites anymore, or anything else for that matter.

It was a lovely day today so I thought I'd go for a bike ride. I saw today around Parliment square there a lot of new bike lanes. At the head of a lot of them were bicycle PCSO's. I'm not sure why they were there, I guess to stop people red light jumping and to get used to the new lanes?
Anyhoo, I'm sitting a a red light at the corner of Parliment square, to my left is another cyclist. About 5-10 yard directly in front of us on the corner is a cycle PCSO. We're sitting there and the lights are taking ages to change to green - not bothering me, as I'm enjoying the weather and gawping at the tourist and big ben. But the cyclist to my left obviously has got bored and jumps the light.
Now, as I say, there's a bicycle PCSO directly in front of us. Is she blind and can't see him? What did she think was going to happen as she merrily tried to sail past him. He pulled her over of course and gave her a ticking off. She was lucky she didnt get a fine as (afaik) it's a �£80 fine for RLJing in Central London

I recently did my Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (DCPC) course and must admit before i did it i didn't know the purpose of these markings (other than the obvious stay out unless you are a cyclist) , for a gold star how are cyclists supposed to use them and why?

aslfloralclock.after.jpg

I recently did my Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (DCPC) course and must admit before i did it i didn't know the purpose of these markings (other than the obvious stay out unless you are a cyclist) , for a gold star how are cyclists supposed to use them and why?

aslfloralclock.after.jpg

To turn right maybe:lol:

There is one road near here with a cycle lane clearly marked all the way down both sides. The problem is this is not a wide road, and there is also a concrete crossing island right in the middle of it with a keep left bollard. The road width at this point is down to 3 feet. What vehicle is only 3 feet wide? I either drive in the cycle lane or hit a bollard. :doh:

Also just noticed a house up the road has removed a section of wall so they can get 2 cars onto their drive. Problem is there is a telegraph pole right in the middle of the drive now :grin:

This is the main road in Ambleside, note the green cycle lane. :shock:

atttttttttttttt.jpg

If its green cars may drive in it but must give way to bikes god knows why its like horses why are they allowed on roads also? anyway if the zone is red no cars are allowed to enter at any time

We were told that cyclists should not stop on the near side of the truck and should position themselves in front of it where they can be seen by the driver especially if turning left.

highway%20code%20rule%20178.jpg

That image is for illustration purposes only it allows bikes to decide which direction they intend to travel in a safe manner, these areas tend to be at junctions where multiple exits are possible

So maybe people are that stupid

Piccy one happens all the time. It can be quite dangerous if its a large lorry/HGV that is turning left as large HGV have large blind spots. Lots of cyclists have been seriously injured or killed by unwittingly sitting in a left turning HGV's blind spot. Whenever I pull up to some lights and find a vehicle sitting in the bike area I go even further forward, even if I'm sitting in the pedestrian crossing bit. So Im not sitting in a motor vehicles blind spot and all the cars/vans/hgv's cant fail to see me

Piccy one happens all the time. It can be quite dangerous if its a large lorry/HGV that is turning left as large HGV have large blind spots. Lots of cyclists have been seriously injured or killed by unwittingly sitting in a left turning HGV's blind spot. Whenever I pull up to some lights and find a vehicle sitting in the bike area I go even further forward, even if I'm sitting in the pedestrian crossing bit. So Im not sitting in a motor vehicles blind spot and all the cars/vans/hgv's cant fail to see me

This also gives you the right to turn in any direction does it not where one is safe and cars etc must give way!

What colour is the lane in the photo of London in this thread? I can't see any colour for that one. I thought cars had to give way to cyclists anyway colour or no colour. I will check what colour the one is I talked about. Pretty sure it was red though.
These didn't exist when I took my test. :smile:

The council has just finished a new cycle lane into Aberdeen, that is up to 12ft wide, in addition to the footpath next to it. They had problems with the bus stops because they are now in the cycle lane. :-? So there are lines marking end of cycle lane etc before you hit a bus stop. I suppose they would have to get off and walk around it each time. If cyclists still ride on the road, can I drive in the cycle lane because it's wider than the road now?
And the age old question..... What's wrong with riding a bike on the footpath? There are even signs that allow this in some places - so why not more often?
shared-sign1.jpg

What colour is the lane in the photo of London in this thread? I can't see any colour for that one. I thought cars had to give way to cyclists anyway colour or no colour. I will check what colour the one is I talked about. Pretty sure it was red though.
These didn't exist when I took my test. :smile:

The council has just finished a new cycle lane into Aberdeen, that is up to 12ft wide, in addition to the footpath next to it. They had problems with the bus stops because they are now in the cycle lane. :-? So there are lines marking end of cycle lane etc before you hit a bus stop. I suppose they would have to get off and walk around it each time. If cyclists still ride on the road, can I drive in the cycle lane because it's wider than the road now?
And the age old question..... What's wrong with riding a bike on the footpath? There are even signs that allow this in some places - so why not more often?
shared-sign1.jpg

Cars are not allowed to enter red zones end of ! green they may as long as no cycles are in them, so its not about giving way to cycles actually

Back