Aromazyme has anybody used it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I have ordered some Aromazyme to try.
this is a brief description of what it does
Enzyme preparation which has been developed to increase the complexity of the hop aroma and flavour profile in beer.
It also helps to reduce the bitterness in beers where large hop usage is used or you can reduce the hop amounts or the claim is you can use cheaper lesser hops to get a similar effect as the expensive high flavour yielding ones.
My other question is this a replacement for the Thiol yeasts we can not get over here as they are genetically modified(maybe not directly but to get the same effect)
Simplified answers on a postcard please

I have ordered some Aromazyme to try....
My other question is this a replacement for the Thiol yeasts we can not get over here as they are genetically modified(maybe not directly but to get the same effect)
Simplified answers on a postcard please
It's the same idea as the thiol yeasts, yes. I've not used it but my understanding is that it sort-of works OK-ish, a bit like the early thiol yeasts like Omega's Cosmic Punch that used yeast genes rather than their newer ones that use the patB gene from bacteria which works a lot better (almost too well apparently).

Aromazyme uses a mix of β-glucosidases from Aspergillus niger, which is another fungus that's used a lot in industry, I guess its not surprising that its activity is more like yeast's as a fellow fungus. So I guess you need to do everything you can to give it a good chance - mash hopping with up to 7g/l of Saaz, Calypso, or Cascade and so on.

Since you add the enzyme during fermentation, it's easy to do a split batch with/without enzyme to see the difference.

I had read the blurb and just wanted some confirmation that it acted similar ti the Thiol yeasts.
I was hoping to hear from a member that had used it as they have made claims of upto 300% increase in hop aroma which seems quite a large claim.
I will be happy if it is 100% but I will be hopping with a little more tha 7g/l so I am doing a brew I have done before to compare it with.
You are probably right I should split the batch to be more scientific but I do not have 2 small kegs so I will just have to compare as I have a bottle from the previous batch

I had read the blurb and just wanted some confirmation that it acted similar ti the Thiol yeasts.
Just to be clear, it's the same idea, but the thiol yeasts use lyases to release bound thiols (the "tropical" kind of flavours), whereas glucosidases target bound terpenes (so the classic C-hop floral and citrussy flavours).

If you want a quick and dirty comparison, you can always add yeast, mix it, then take off a sample to ferment in a loosely-capped fizzy pop bottle or even glass bottle, before adding the enzyme to the main batch.

I use t in all my hop fwd beers i do use less hops these days but not done anything scienific to prove it.

Latest posts

Back