Back To Black (keg lid o-rings)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure @peebee will correct me if I go wrong. ...
He flippin' won't! I haven't got me comprehension wrapped around the first line yet ...
So 11cc/day with 100% O2 @ 23C
Err ... that's ... no ... try ... Hey! Not fair! I'm sure "11" has more fingies than I've got fingers?

But that "Gunnlab" stuff posted in the OP does get a bit baffling with all its talk of 100% Oxygen and "Test gas was a certified N2/O2 mix". Sort of explained with the note:

Results are reported on a 100% oxygen basis, which is the convention for published OTR data.
Transmission in normal air (21% oxygen) would be 21% of the above results.

(A "convention"? That's new to me, but at the moment I'm recovering from spelling "convention" right).

Or ... They are pretending it's a pure oxygen atmosphere. Best to understand this jiggery-pokery before reading a lot into it. Meanwhile ... I'm going for a coffee.

Just a further thought. This test method, ASTM F 1307-02(2007), it would appear uses a carrier gas (nitrogen) to flush the test volume and collect any permeated gas and pass it through a detector. So the gas outside the test cell (top end of a corny) is maintained as 100% O2 or air. IMO this is an OK method for establishing a “standard value” but as they went to the bother of making a keg top why not fill that space with CO2 at a typical corny pressure in an air atmosphere at a typical keg temperature (10C) to simulate a keg seal in action and leave it for, say 1,2,3 days and measure the O2 level after each period. I think I would have taken more notice had Kegland done that test than the one they did.

Latest posts

Back