Silicone O-rings are useless...apparently!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
Seen this on YouTube today. Kegland have brought out new O-rings because Silicone ones just aren't as great as everyone thought. They had them tested and the results were quite alarming. The long and the short of it is (if you can't be bothered watching the video) that these new O-rings are 27 times better at stopping oxygen ingress into kegs. That's a huge number. Temperature also plays a big part. Apparently, with a silicone O-ring, a light lager that is refrigerated will have a shelf life of just one week before enough oxygen gets in to do noticeable damage. With these new O-rings, that shelf life is extended to six months. Me thinks I will be investing in some.

If you watch the video, you will find out that is a myth. I was surprised also. But hey, for the sake of a few quid, I'll be getting some. It's not like they are expensive. Keg Land are selling them for $4 (Australian). That's £2.07. I have 5 kegs so it will cost me about a tenner.

Ever drank a keg beer in a pub?
I can tell you that the spear that threads in and seals the keg has a lovely silicone O-ring on it.
If lager becomes oxidised after a week in a keg it's likely not the O-ring that's to blame.

For those that want to buy them anyway, I say go right ahead. And and did you know I have some magical life-extending Murgy Straight that makes you more attractive and makes your willy bigger for only £3.50 per bottle? Send me your money! :)

edit: Or maybe they're EPDM...? Send me your money anyway.

Last edited:
Ever drank a keg beer in a pub?
I can tell you that the spear that threads in and seals the keg has a lovely silicone O-ring on it.
If lager becomes oxidised after a week in a keg it's likely not the O-ring that's to blame.

For those that want to buy them anyway, I say go right ahead. And and did you know I have some magical life-extending Murgy Straight that makes you more attractive and makes your willy bigger for only £3.50 per bottle? Send me your money! :)

edit: Or maybe they're EPDM...? Send me your money anyway.
Do you have any of that beer that makes your willy smaller?

'We've been selling these for years and no one has noticed, but get the new ones or your beer will be dead in a week' :roll:

Saying that £2 isn't much for the improvement if NEIPAs are your thing.

If cask ale is your thing, but the convenience and extended shelf life of kegs is attractive, then a little oxygen ingress wouldn't be a bad thing. Something that makes me laugh is the 'I've never had a beer that's oxidised'. Yes you have, but your frame of reference is probably beer that is deliberately allowed to be oxidised.

Think I’ll wait until I need to replace my o rings before I go looking for these.
I can’t say I’ve noticed beer getting oxidised in a week.

A keg only normally lasts a month at the most anyway.

To me it’s a bit of a scare tactic to get you buying their seals.

How many of you have had kegs with Lager and stouts in them left to Lager or mature. I have and never had it oxidised, I am beginning to think like Mooney and Buffers

Last edited:
Regarding the Kegland video, the cynic in me is saying, when a company accepts that it has made a mistake and supplied faulty goods it usually organises a “recall” and puts corrective action in place. In this circumstance a FREE replacement for the faulty item not advise the customer they need to buy a replacement! The cynic in me is muttering “marketing bull***t” and I believe him. :tongue:

As In science, scientists can have opposite opinions depending on who you believe.
Me I believe Me as I have said plenty of homebrewers have used cornies for storage and conditioning and very few have had problems as I said my Cherry Porter had over 2 year in a cornie and got better also I have 11 kegs and rotate my drinking style of beer so most kegs go several months before empty and the only thing I have ever noticed is the hop taste slowly dissipating.
I smell marketing BS

As In science, scientists can have opposite opinions depending on who you believe.
Me I believe Me as I have said plenty of homebrewers have used cornies for storage and conditioning and very few have had problems as I said my Cherry Porter had over 2 year in a cornie and got better also I have 11 kegs and rotate my drinking style of beer so most kegs go several months before empty and the only thing I have ever noticed is the hop taste slowly dissipating.
I smell marketing BS

Most Corny kegs have the black nitrile rubber lid o-ring. Those are fine.

Back