Back to the Hobby

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex Brew

Reaction score
Hello all. I've had quite a break from the homebrewing hobby due to numerous reasons. All my equipment was in storage and I've just been through it all (like a happy child at Christmas). In and amongst the bundles of items, I found a number of cans of kits, extract and additives/chemicals. I also have some yeasts and hops that are currently refrigerated. However, they are all past their BBE. I know this kind of subject has been discussed before, but I wanted to know your thoughts on what I have. Shall I ditch it all and not bother or have a few experiments with them? I understand the malt will probably darken (not a problem to me). I will purchase new yeasts and may add in yeast starters from the older packets. I might also repitch onto the yeast cake for some batches. I'll probably toucan and add in some new hops too. The chemicals I'll probably ditch. For the sterilising items, I might use to clean the toilet 🤣. So here's what I have:-

Cans and Kits
1 x Black Rock Crystal Unhopped Malt Extract BBE 15/02/19
2 x Black Rock Blonde Unhopped Malt Extract BBE 14/02/19
3 x Black Rock Creamy Brown Unhopped Malt Extract BBE 15/02/19 (one of these is quite dented, if I remember correctly this was done via postage when purchased)
2 x Make Your Own Beer Liquid Malt Extract BBE OCTOBER 19
1 x Wilko Chardonnay BBE NOVEMBER 14
1 x Wilko Merlot BBE APRIL 15
1 x Wilko Cerveza BBE MAY 15
1 x Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown BBE JULY 17
1 x Wilko Pilsner BBE DECEMBER 18
1 x Black Rock Cider BBE AUGUST 12
1 x Classic Liquors Mexican Coffee BBE NOVEMBER 12
1 x Classic Liquors Irish Cream BBE JUNE 15
1 x Classic Liquors Cinnamon Whiskey BBE SEPTEMBER 18
9 x Youngs Alcoshots. Blueberry, Apple and Mixed Fruit BBE Unknown

Other Ingredients

These are all unopened
Hops. (Kept frozen when purchased, then refrigerated within the last 6 months or so)
Yeasts (Kept refrigerated)
1 x Muntons Beer Enhancer BBE AUGUST 17 (Quite hard)
Oak chips sachet (No date)
Rasperry & Lime cider flavouring sachet (No date, purchased around 2014)

Additives/chemicals
(These have been opened)
VWP BBE Unknown
Glycerine BBE APRIL 12
Pectolase BBE JANUARY 13
Campden Tablets BBE MARCH 13
Yeasts Nutrient BBE JANUARY 13
Stabilising Powder (Potassium Sorbate) BBE JANUARY 13

(These have been unopened)
Peptic Enzyme BBE Unknown (Looks quite old to be honest)
Wine & Beer finings SEPTEMBER 12, APRIL 13 & NOVEMBER 18

Thanks in advance for reading and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

If it were me, I'd chuck all the chemicals, the beer enhancer, the oak chips and the flavouring sachet.
The unopenened hops and yeast could be ok. I'd get rid of all the flavourings, too.
As for the old Wilco kits, you've got nothing to lose except a bag of sugar by making them up and trying them. If they look wrong or smell nasty when you open the tin, then go on to the next one.
The Black Rock kits and the malt extract should be ok.

Good luck.

If it were me, I'd chuck all the chemicals, the beer enhancer, the oak chips and the flavouring sachet.
The unopenened hops and yeast could be ok. I'd get rid of all the flavourings, too.
As for the old Wilco kits, you've got nothing to lose except a bag of sugar by making them up and trying them. If they look wrong or smell nasty when you open the tin, then go on to the next one.
The Black Rock kits and the malt extract should be ok.

Good luck.
Thank you for your reply and suggestions, much appreciated

Back