Bad luck so ****** off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old mercury thermometers were banned years ago.

What?? I'd never heard about this. My most recent mercury thermometer is, I guess, about 5 years old - from a scientific supplier, certified accuracy.
I'm astonished at a ban. Why? Metallic mercury does not react with water or I believe oxygen at normal temperatures. Even if it did, I also thought that inorganic mercury compounds weren't dreadfully toxic - whereas organic ones certainly can be.
I value mercury thermometers for their rapid response time. And, at least in my past, they were the only ones that you could get with certified accuracy.
It strikes me as a bit like banning lead from artist's paints - targeting a problem that is only theoretical, whilst pumping thousands of tonnes of CO2 into our already overly-modified atmosphere!
Hey Ho!! ....

My understanding of the law is that the mercury ban is only for medical thermometers. (i.e. those thermometers that you stick in your mouth with the great hope that the previous user didn't have his/her temperature taken rectally.)

Off Topic but true - my first wife once "sterilised" 25 medical thermometers by sticking them in an autoclave operating at +/-120 degrees Celsius! Sure enough, they were sterile but they were also broken! :oops: :oops: :oops:

What made it more embarrassing for her was that this incident happened shortly after she had won the hospital's "Student Nurse of the Year Award". :whistle::whistle:

What made it more embarrassing for her was that this incident happened shortly after she had won the hospital's "Student Nurse of the Year Award". :whistle::whistle:

Sounds appropriate to me. Exactly the sort of thing a student would do. And that a Student of the Year would do only once! :smile:

I have a Thermapen which I got after seeing many recommendations

Doubt if anyone is as daft as me but ...

... checked out Thermapen and discovered that the price was anything from £43.20 to £59.99; except FleaBay which came in a £7.99!

All excited I went to buy one, discovered the words "Thermometer not included." and realised the £7.99 was for a silicone cover to protect the Thermapen! Doh!

I think I will ask SWMBO if I can have a Thermopen for my birthday.:thumb:

... checked out Thermapen and discovered that the price was anything from �£43.20 to �£59.99; except FleaBay which came in a �£7.99!

All excited I went to buy one, discovered the words "Thermometer not included." and realised the �£7.99 was for a silicone cover to protect the Thermapen! Doh!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YA4VNEO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I bought this and did not use the cheapy free battery. I put a duracell in instead less likely to leak.

now I have saved you some money , can you send me some beer ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

... checked out Thermapen and discovered that the price was anything from �£43.20 to �£59.99; except FleaBay which came in a �£7.99!

All excited I went to buy one, discovered the words "Thermometer not included." and realised the �£7.99 was for a silicone cover to protect the Thermapen! Doh!

I got mine as a Christmas present from SWMBO

Many thanks, I have added it to my Amazon "Wishlist" ... :thumb: :thumb:

... also added free beer to yours! :whistle: :whistle:

My Thermasoike arrives today - hidden in amongst quite a it of "household goods"!

Now all I have to do is to get it from the front-door to the brewing gear cabinet without SWMBO spotting it.

Thanks for the link. :thumb: :thumb:

I like digital thermometers over the old fashioned kind.

Also, if any glass was ever broken on, in or near anything to be consumed I would throw it away. Regardless of the red ink etc. glass and your insides are not a good combination no matter how small the pieces. No amount of filtering would make me risk that.

I'm a bit uptight about foreign objects in consumables, comes from working as a chef many years ago. If in doubt chuck it out.

When I first started as a chef I was 17 and I was grating 50kg of cheese (that's a lot of cheese) with a machine and had the bright idea of moving the last pieces of cheese into the grater with my knife and "PING" the tip of the knife came off the knife, through the grater and into the cheese. I had a search about but even after finding the tip I still decided to throw the whole batch out. I know it might sound silly but just imagine IF, just IF a customer swallowed a shard of the knife tip. Highly unlikely but where there is the slimmest possibility you can't risk it - same with glass for me.

I like digital thermometers over the old fashioned kind.

Also, if any glass was ever broken on, in or near anything to be consumed I would throw it away. Regardless of the red ink etc. glass and your insides are not a good combination no matter how small the pieces. No amount of filtering would make me risk that.

I'm a bit uptight about foreign objects in consumables, comes from working as a chef many years ago. If in doubt chuck it out.

When I first started as a chef I was 17 and I was grating 50kg of cheese (that's a lot of cheese) with a machine and had the bright idea of moving the last pieces of cheese into the grater with my knife and "PING" the tip of the knife came off the knife, through the grater and into the cheese. I had a search about but even after finding the tip I still decided to throw the whole batch out. I know it might sound silly but just imagine IF, just IF a customer swallowed a shard of the knife tip. Highly unlikely but where there is the slimmest possibility you can't risk it - same with glass for me.

I definatley agree with you here FD. There's no way I'd continue brewing If I had a glass thermometer break into any part of my brewing stage - I'd throw it all away. It cost me around £10 for the average brew. An amount I could easily swallow(excuse the pun) when balanced up against a trip to A&E

My last glass thermometer I broke trying to calibrate it. I put it in some boiling water then immediatly put it in a glass of ice water :doh:

I definatley agree with you here FD. There's no way I'd continue brewing If I had a glass thermometer break into any part of my brewing stage - I'd throw it all away. It cost me around �£10 for the average brew. An amount I could easily swallow(excuse the pun) when balanced up against a trip to A&E

My last glass thermometer I broke trying to calibrate it. I put it in some boiling water then immediatly put it in a glass of ice water :doh:

I used to be a chef but these days I manage a chapel of rest for a Funeral Director and I think anyone messing about with broken glass and beverages has a good chance bypassing A&E and coming to see me. :-o

I've seen a few people who have been "glassed" and it ain't pretty but the worst case was a lass in my local Off-Licence in Brigg.

Back in the 60's, they transported beer bottles in wire-bound wooden crates and as the lass lifted one of the crates off a stack she felt something punch into one of her thumbs.

It turned out to be a shard of clear glass that had somehow got bedded in the hand-grip of the crate and was now snapped off in the base of her thumb.

The local doctor probed around in there but couldn't find the shard so he referred the lass to Scunthorpe where a surgeon had another attempt before finally giving up and deciding that the safest option was to remove her thumb completely. (Presumably in case the glass moved and severed something.)

Glass is a necessary evil in a way, but personally I hate it in all its forms.

My Thermasoike arrives today - hidden in amongst quite a it of "household goods"!

Now all I have to do is to get it from the front-door to the brewing gear cabinet without SWMBO spotting it.

Thanks for the link. :thumb: :thumb:

Try running it under the cold tap. I was suprised to see the water was coming out at 9.6 degrees.

I have to say the thermospike is great. My beers are carbing up at 22.5 degrees
as I speak.

Talking of water, I have decided that I need to stop running backwards and forwards into the house when most of my brewing is done in the garage.

So herewith "Work in Progress". (The sink, tap and a pressure-regulator were the "household goods" that came with the Thermaspike!)

The beer is another Marsh Mild from a Fulstow Brewery AG kit. Poured as I was finished for the day, waiting for wood filler to dry. :thumb: :thumb:

Tomorrow, a quick sand down and then a couple of coats of varnish and then back to brewing instead of working! :thumb: :thumb:

BTW - looking at the photo I think I will move that light switch up a couple of feet!!:doh::doh::doh:

IMG_1326.jpg

Back