"Bad News" and "Good News"!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
"Bad News" is check out this article ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...grid7|main5|dl1|dl-headline&pLid=591965325_uk

Apparently, it's a genetic disposition as to whether or not you will contract cancer from drinking alcohol; so the "Russian Roulette of Life" carries on! :thumb: :thumb:

"Good News" is that Lidl have their Fitness Mats back in, so anyone who wants to make a snug thermal jacket for their FV (or even Boiler) should nip down there and get one for a mere �£5.99. Properly cut, a single mat will insulate two x 23 litre FV's.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Love it, the January fitness fad gives us cheap insulation for mash tuns and FV's.

It's NOT a "fad"! :nono: :nono:

Today I saw a rather chubby young man walking out of Lidl with a Fitness Mat under his arm and thought "You're a bit young to be insulating an FV lad, but good luck to you!" :thumb:

Also, I will be starting my own dieting and training regime when we have eaten the ton of Christmas left-overs in the freezer! :thumb: :thumb:

January is a miserable month yet people have a tendency to give up the things they like. Alcohol and sitting around lazily. It's completely stupid.

January is a miserable month yet people have a tendency to give up the things they like. Alcohol and sitting around lazily. It's completely stupid.

That is exactly WHY it is miserable. Not for me - I ain't giving nuthin' up.

I get home this week after spending 35 dry days offshore. Will I consider having an alcohol free January? I'll have to do some serious thinking before I decide. Mind you as I'll have eight hours in Lagos, it's easy to not have any of the local beer. Ok, looks like the decision is made, double G & T's:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I get home this week after spending 35 dry days offshore. Will I consider having an alcohol free January? I'll have to do some serious thinking before I decide. Mind you as I'll have eight hours in Lagos, it's easy to not have any of the local beer. Ok, looks like the decision is made, double G & T's:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I recommend that you say to the nice lady with the trolley "A large Rusty Nail please." :thumb:

That way she has to give you two miniatures of whisky and two miniatures of Drambuie. :thumb: :thumb:

I was usually fast asleep before the plane left Nigerian air-space! :thumb: :thumb:

Not for me. I've had my genome anylsed and both copies of my alcohol dehydrogenase gene are in top form. One less thing to worry about.

I just rely on the fact that I share my Uncle Ern's DNA.

He drank at least eight pints of Mansfield Bitter every day from 18 and lived into his 80's. :thumb: :thumb:

The last time I saw him he was 81 years old and looking for a woman to accompany him of a bus trip to the German Vineyards! I think he found a woman to take with him so it would either be her or drinking eight pints of wine a day that finally did for him! :lol: :lol:

I just rely on the fact that I share my Uncle Ern's DNA.

He drank at least eight pints of Mansfield Bitter every day from 18 and lived into his 80's. :thumb: :thumb:

The last time I saw him he was 81 years old and looking for a woman to accompany him of a bus trip to the German Vineyards! I think he found a woman to take with him so it would either be her or drinking eight pints of wine a day that finally did for him! :lol: :lol:

I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to ALDH2. Most westerners have two working versions, and those that don't wouldn't be on a brewing forum. In addition to the higher risk of cancer, having a defective version of this gene has other noticeable effects, which I've noticed when drinking with two east Asians with the version in the article you linked to. One would go bright red, get drunk very quickly and would either leave very early or get rather silly before falling asleep somewhere. The other was a colleague and friend who came out regularly after work, having one drink then sticking to tomato juice for the rest of the night while the rest of us were knocking them back; she never drank more than one drink ever since "she had a bad experience". It was years later that I learnt that, while working in a different lab, she had attended the labs Christmas dinner and, despite not drinking excessively, had been quite ill all over the dining table. Suffice to say, I think your ALDH2 is in good nick.

Thanks for that.

People are definitely "different" in how they react to alcohol.

One man I drank with became totally drunk (slurred words, staggering etc) after two pints and then stayed at that level for the next eight pints!

Also (and much to the irritation of "There's no justice in this world!" SWMBO) I've never had a hangover; although I have felt a bit "delicate" at times.

To the people who do suffer from hangovers I offer them my sympathy and promise that, should I ever start to suffer at their level, I will give up drinking. :lol: :lol:

"asian flush" i believe they call it.

i remember at university seeing a group of about 10 asian students share a few bottles of wine.. 10 minutes later half of them violently ill and the other half looking after them.. thats good friends for you

............... and the other half looking after them.. thats good friends for you

That brought back memories! :thumb:

Andrea, the wife of a friend, went "vino collapso" at almost every party.

The first time it happened only her husband was unconcerned but after another five or six parties no-one bothered.

My last memory of Andrea at a party was fellow party goers stepping over her prostrate body as she lay across the doorway into my kitchen!

Happy Days! :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back