Banana beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shug

Reaction score
Had a random thought pop into my head about making a banoffee beer. Like a modified maltier caley 80/- with banana.
Not sure about the banana bit tho. Guy at lhbs suggested finding a banana wine recipe. So I know what to do with the bananas, I'm just not sure how much for a 5 gallon batch. 3 1/2 lbs for a gallon of banana wine seems a lot when scaled to 5 gallons for beer.
Any suggestions on quantity? And should I use amylase or something too?

I was thinking about banana beer, one of my fave beers is Whells Banana Bread. They say they use real bananas, rather than following the route of Belgian beers and using the right yeast and the right temp.

Would it be possible to use banana chips in the latter part of the boil?

Or throw some very ripe bananas in a muslin bag in the FV?

Scott,don't use banana chips-they are deep fried & add oil to your brew.

I am toying with the idea of using home dehydrated bananas to add to my mash. They taste fudgey,almost crystal malt like. After advice from many posters I will probably use them chopped finely in the initial mash- I don't want to add them to the boil because they will rehydrate, & after careful thought I don't really want to add in secondary because of the pectin they may impart (although that needs to be weighed up against flavour)

BIGJIM72 said:
Scott,don't use banana chips-they are deep fried & add oil to your brew.

I am toying with the idea of using home dehydrated bananas to add to my mash. They taste fudgey,almost crystal malt like. After advice from many posters I will probably use them chopped finely in the initial mash- I don't want to add them to the boil because they will rehydrate, & after careful thought I don't really want to add in secondary because of the pectin they may impart (although that needs to be weighed up against flavour)

i think from a health food shop they could be dried if they sell them individually there....certainly dried are a good way to go, no water in them so they'll add less substance to the brew whilst still adding all of their flavour.

there's this too, but i dunno if it's chemical - http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog ... e.html?kw={keyword}&fl=1000&ci=15820262768&network=pla&gclid=CIyYsKeMpbYCFW_KtAod6B4AIw

Latest posts

Back