Barolo stuck?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigboots

Reaction score
A friend ( foolishly ) asked me about a problem he has had with a Barolo kit (ongoing).
Apparently in fermenter 2 weeks, no activity.
Pitched restart yeast, 4 days no activity.
I'm going over there tonight to take a gravity reading.
Is there anything else I should ask/do?
Any guidance on this would be much appreciated. :thumb:

Hydrometer reading is the obvious first approach.

I'm guessing fermentation has probably finished or is well underway but he hasn't been getting bubbles through the airlock because pressure is escaping some other way, and he hasn't bothered to use his ears or nose, so he thinks nothing has been happening.

As the temperature is dropping outside I'm going to suggest if it's warm enough for the yeast. SWMBO's brother wants to get into home brewing but he will need a portable heaters his bedroom as it's always too cold in there.

Just back, hydro reading 992! Job done! :hat:
:drink: :drink: :drink:

@ stevie, check out a brew belt. Can raise the temp if the room is too cold.

bigboots said:
Just back, hydro reading 992! Job done!
Exactly as I expected.

This sort of question crops up time and time again, the airlock hasn't been bubbling so the brew must have stuck or failed.

Use your other senses! Look at the surface for bubbles. Put your ear to the side of the bucket and see if it's fizzing. Crack the lid, stick your nose in and take a sniff. Try not to cough in the bucket as the CO2 hits you.

And buy a hydrometer, they are only around three quid!

Latest posts

Back