batch sparging clarification

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, decided to batch sparge my next brew tommorrow and been looking at the calculator and am a little confused about the top up water, when it says 12.5 litres for mash and 5.2 top up water does this mean mash with 12.5 ltr for 90 mins then add the top up before the first runnings, and at what temp should the top up water be.
johnluc :oops:

been looking this up, have i got this right

1 mash at 67c with required water for 90mins
2 add top up water at approx 85c to get grain bed to about 75c stir and leave for 10-15mins,run off 1st runnings
3 add second batch of water stir and leave 10-15 mins, run off.
johnluc

That's my understanding for a batch sparge. Although I got things mixed up the last time I sparged. I started the run off and had placed a layer of foil on top during the mash to help retain the heat. I then put lots of holes in the foil before the run off, then added water but didn't stir. I then started the run off and allowed the water in to keep the level the same during the run off. So it turned out to be a bit of a mixture of fly and batch. The efficiency was about 78%.

cheers bob seems iv'e been doing it wrong i was running off the mash wort, then doing two equal batches to make up total amount, don;t suppose it matters too much just took longer and probably efficiency was down but the beer turns out ok.
johnluc.

johnluc said:

2 add top up water at approx 85c to get grain bed to about 75c stir and leave for 10-15mins,run off 1st runnings
johnluc

That's it :thumb: recycle the first few litres out the tun back in as well, this will help you get a clearer wort as the grain bed settles and filters better. This is a good time to have some foil with holes in on the top so you don't disturb the bed too much when you pour back in

Hawks said:
johnluc said:

johnluc

That's it :thumb: recycle the first few litres out the tun back in as well, this will help you get a clearer wort as the grain bed settles and filters better. This is a good time to have some foil with holes in on the top so you don't disturb the bed too much when you pour back in

is the grain bed not going to be disturbed if you are stirring it twice after adding sparge water?

Yep - - but with batch sparging its the whole point bizarrely :thumb:

Does make leaving it to settle and then recycling both times more important

Latest posts

Back