Beer carbonation calculation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYHomeBrewGuy

Reaction score
Is there a way calculate the carbonation level in my beer by simply knowing the amount of co2 absorbed. For example I have a 5 gal corny keg with 4 gal of beer at 34 F. I pressurize it to 45 psi and disconnect the co2. I check it in 24 hrs and now it's 20 psi. The beer has absorbed 25 psi of co2. Is there a calculation that can tell me the level of the carbonation of the beer. The reason I'm asking this is because I'm having trouble with leaky connections to my co2 tank and Id rather not lose all my co2 trying to carbonate the beer. I'd rather keep pressurizing the keg and track the absorption of the co2 every day until I'm at about 2.5 volume.

Just about to raise a similar question so hope you don’t mind me jumping in. I have just finished fermenting a NEIPA at 20C and it had 15 psi in fermenter at the end of fermentation. After cold crashing to 3C the pressure dropped to approx 10 psi. My question is do I raise this pressure up to get 2.4vols or do I raise the temp back to 20psi and adjust at that temp to get the required volumes. I will be bottling direct from all rounder using Boel iTap once required volumes is attained.
thanks for any assistance.

Back