Beer Carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

private4587

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but I have been unable to find a definitive answer, when fermenting I stop the blow off and fit the valve after about 4-5days using the last of the fermentation gas to build up saving on co2 required to carbonate the ale/lager. I have the tables required but my query is the temp. by this I mean which temp should I be using from the chart. the finishing fermentation temp or the cold crash temp?

I would think the finishing temp as that is nearer the drinking temp and the carbonation level you want to drink at. If you use cold crash the beer will be colder and absorb co2 easier but will start to come out of solution as it gets nearer to drinking temp IMO

I don't use pressure to carb but have read to use the highest temp during fermentation for residual CO2 levels.

Has always worked well when calculating sugar for bottle conditioning.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I have been unable to find a definitive answer, when fermenting I stop the blow off and fit the valve after about 4-5days using the last of the fermentation gas to build up saving on co2 required to carbonate the ale/lager. I have the tables required but my query is the temp. by this I mean which temp should I be using from the chart. the finishing fermentation temp or the cold crash temp?
Go by what the experts say, the volume of CO2 at a specified temperature. I use this one (same as what Brewers Friend uses.) It is for bottling but will predict the CO2 at the finishing temperature.
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en...brewing-tools/bottle-conditioning-calculator/

Ok from what I have gathered (I hope) is if I have cold crashed my beer/lager at say 3C I should raised temp back again to say 12C (hopefully my bottle serving temp) and then using the chart apply the correct amount of co2 for approx 1 week to force carbonate then using Boule Tap transfer to my bottles. I only do this with beers/lagers that would not normally go through my beer engine

Back