Beer Changes Taste?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob downe

Reaction score
Has anybody noticed this?

When I do a completely new brew, (I keg it with priming sugar) the first pint always makes me think "it's o.k maybe a bit too sweet". :|

But even the next day the second, third or fourth pint, Im thinking "this is fantastic", "beautiful beer", "must do again". :cheers:

Is this my taste buds adjusting to a new beer or does the priming sugar settle out at the bottom of the barrel and if not eaten by the yeast yet, it gets drawn off?

BTW I'm not very patient when sampling so could it just be getting better day to day until it gets "lovely?" :oops:

Thanks.

I find the beer taste changes regularly, conditioning, co2, temperature all effect the taste and mouth feel.

If you leave it long enough you can also taste the hops mellowing and the malts intertwining. worth brewing lots of beer just to experience a beers journey through life from fermenter fresh to matured and mellowed.

Beers mature at different rates. Some beers can take YEARS to be at their best. Some of the Belgian Lambics from the Brussels area for instance are blends of young (less than 1 year old) batches and stuff that has had a decade or more to mature (see Oude Geuze) and may undergo as many as five or six separate periods of fermentation.

There are some people who still maintain that it's sour, undrinkable muck even after all that, but ignore them. They are Philistines.

:cheers:

Well, I've fell in love with this beer and at 5.4% and my fourth pint, perhaps it's the beer talking. :rofl:

Tempted to do another four but I've got to work tomorrow. :evil:

Thanks for the input.

I think the way to deal with this is to brew a glut of beer so that you can leave it to do its thing instead of itching to sample each brew as soon as the bubbles stop rising...

Latest posts

Back