Beer for garden slugs (Slug Trap)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Whittaker

Reaction score
This year I wish to setup up my allotment pest control since slugs are a problem on my plot due to its location to natural cover.
Beer Slug traps worked well last year, but I used the dregs, left in the fermenter. I'm going to require much more slug beer this year.

So... Given they are attracted to the yeast (so i'm told), Shall I just mix a "starter" like solution using cheap granulated sugar and throw in some old harvested Voss?
I'm looking to maximise the yeast smell, so
Any thoughts, previous experience or tips to achieve this.

Get a crate of Boddingtons...that will scare anything away.
I've never bothered with slug control on my plot. One thing I found as slugs like it damp and warm they come out at night...during the growing season I changed watering to the hottest part of the day so the ground was bone dry again by nightfall. The slugs don't like the dry soil.

We currently keep the grass short, remove lower dead leaves, water well before evening, removed clutter. Issue with my plot is two sides of the plot are deep hedge rows and it is that side which suffers.

Brewing wise, I think keep fermenting and growing yeast in 3L bottles. Maybe in an ongoing loop of not exhausting the yeast cake and then just refilling.

I wonder if different yeasts give off a stronger smell?
The slugs best not like DDH Citra or it could start to cost. :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back