Beer keeping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardagutteridge

Reaction score
:cheers: Hi all hope someone can help with this. I have 7 AG brews under my belt and have been following Graham Wheeler's book. In it he mentions amounts of time for keeping beer . What I want to know is what he would mean by strong beer? quote " The weakest beers will keep for a few months the strongest beer for as long as a several years".

So what abv would weak beers be and what abv for strong beers?

Currently I am brewing between 4% and 7.5% depending on the brew.

Regards Richard G :drink:

I have noticed some under 4% beers including from micros dont last well after 6 months. These of course are low in alcohol and in hops both of which will preserve the beer. This being the reason IPA was created to last the long journeys across the oceans.

I there is no exact shelf life as each beer is different. If you make an RIS with bags of hops and around 9%abv it will last years (no experience so i couldnt say how many)

None of my beers ever last long enough for me to know how long they will last anyway :D

:cheers: Thanks guys for the guidlines will add to my notes :thumb:

However I would think that abv in the region of 9% would be wine strength :!: Sort of :drink:

ps RIS???

I drank the last bottles of my first batch of Imperial stout last year . . . I made it in 1997! . . I am sampling the batch I made in 2008, and it is still improving and developing.

Latest posts

Back