Beer pond

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killick Greenie

Reaction score
I've just been in to check my AG 1 brew and I've now got a small beer pond under the plastic keg :evil: It looks like the leak is from around the seal of the tap. I've just released some gas (and from the keg as well :party: ) but I reckon its going to keep leaking. The temperature in the garage is quite warm and the beer is in secondary FV. I admit that the keg is a cheapo that came with my first kit so I'm to blame for being a cheapskate, but given the strange attachment I have to AG01 I need to get it through this patch of trauma so can any of you guy's let me know the best course of action I should take before putting out a full blown Mayday Mayday Mayday call :pray:

Thanks
:cheers:

Ps Naturally I took a sample for quality assurance purposes :whistle: and I can't believe how good it tastes. :thumb:

Two choices let it leak and drink fast

or move it to an Fv carefully without splashing, remove the tap, wrap Ptfe tap around the threads of the tap rebuild fill with water and co2 check for leak. Empty and fill with beer.

The cheap keg is it a bottom tap as I know these are prone for it, Matchless have had many problems with them and found thats the best cure.

You can try putting the keg on its side with the tap at the top (wedge it so it doesn't roll!!). Unscrew the tap, vaseline the washer (both sides) and a little ptfe tape on the the thread.

Replace the tap but don't overtighten, that causes leaks.

Of course this will disturb the sediment and you'll have to wait for it to clear again.

Thanks Guy's

I know this is a bit girlie but will ptfe tape leak some kind of dire chemical into my beer?

Would you use a cornie keg to do the secondary fermentation?

Thanks
:cheers:

Killick Greenie said:
I know this is a bit girlie but will ptfe tape leak some kind of dire chemical into my beer?
As far as I'm aware, PTFE is pretty user friendly, unlike the black plastic dustbins of Dave Line's day.

As Eric said PTFE won't leak chemicals. It may test your sanity if you've never used it before, I suggest looking on youtube for a video on using it.

If by secondary fermentation you mean priming then yes. I both prime in and serve from a cornie.

PTFE is completely Foodsafe, up until around 75 deg C, at 75deg C and above it can give off Cyanide Gas, therefore if your only going to use it for threads for a beer tap you will have no problem at all, PTFE is used in virtually every food factory in the world in some GUISE.

The only thing you need to consider when stopping leaky threads with PTFE tape is how you wind it on the threads, application has to be handed, otherwise the tape unwinds itself off the male thread when you screw the fitting into the female thread, therefore for a right hand thread you need to wrap the tape on it as if the tread was a left hand thread, then when you screw the tap back in the keg, the cut end of the tape is at the trailing edge, and wont bunch up causing premature tightness or locking before the tap is fully home.

I hope you understand the above :wha: its easier to show than explain.

Remember though Righty Tighty lefty loosey.

UP

Latest posts

Back