Beer won't clear

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been brewing a Youngs American Amber Ale and I can't get it to clear up. No matter what the instructions say, I generally do 3 weeks in primary with reading to prove that FG is appropriate, 3 weeks bottle conditioning at room temp and 2 weeks in the fridge. This particular batch had its 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks bottle conditioning. After a couple of days in the fridge I had a couple to check and they were very tasty but disagreed with my stomach the next day. I guessed there was too much yeast in suspension and that was what disagreed with me.

I have had them in the fridge for 2 weeks now and they still haven't cleared up. There is a pretty heavy yeast disk on the bottom of the bottles. Much heavier than I would expect from others beers I have done. However they still remain a bit cloudy. I am wondering if this style requires a lot longer with the strain of yeast (beer yeast, US west coast is all the info from the packet.)

I am really hoping that I still get a drinkable batch out of this and don't wake up in the night needing to make a bathroom visit this weekend.

I don't cold crash because I don't have fridge space to do so with my fermenter or bottling bucket.

(CX's are one of my favourites of all time though if that counts for anything. Unapologetic Honda fan boy.)

What happens to your beer if you take it out the fridge and allow it to warm up? Does it clear?
If it makes no difference, all you can do is to leave it to time and gravity and cold to it sort out.
And I dont have a fridge in which to put my FV when the fermentation has done. But I do move it into the coldest place available for at least three days, longer in summer when ambient temperatures are higher, and that usually results in clear or nearly clear beer at bottling time.
Finally, a silly question, are you sure the beer is not clear before you move the bottle prior to opening? My recollection of the similar AIPA kit is that the yeast got disturbed very easily, and clouded up before I poured.

I don't cold crash because I don't have fridge space to do so with my fermenter or bottling bucket.

(CX's are one of my favourites of all time though if that counts for anything. Unapologetic Honda fan boy.)
I had 12 years and 70.000 miles of fun and rallys on the old girl all over uk and france best bike i ever owned, it was 25 years old when i bought it 500 quid and 37 when i sold it still on sorn so 41 now athumb..

What happens to your beer if you take it out the fridge and allow it to warm up? Does it clear?
If it makes no difference, all you can do is to leave it to time and gravity and cold to it sort out.
And I dont have a fridge in which to put my FV when the fermentation has done. But I do move it into the coldest place available for at least three days, longer in summer when ambient temperatures are higher, and that usually results in clear or nearly clear beer at bottling time.
Finally, a silly question, are you sure the beer is not clear before you move the bottle prior to opening? My recollection of the similar AIPA kit is that the yeast got disturbed very easily, and clouded up before I poured.

I haven't tried taking it out of the fridge other than for a quick look. Its not from pouring though, I am judging based on sealed beers in clear glass bottles. I will leave one on counter top for a few days to see if it clears up. Are you suspecting the haze is chill haze?

They were hazy when I put them in the fridge. Probably more than they are currently. I was hoping a couple of weeks in the fridge would clear them up but progress has been slow

I had 12 years and 70.000 miles of fun and rallys on the old girl all over uk and france best bike i ever owned, it was 25 years old when i bought it 500 quid and 37 when i sold it still on sorn so 41 now athumb..

I love Honda's that deliver maximum fun for minimum outlay. I own a 2001 CB500 that I have taken from 54k to 91k miles. Paid £700 for it and still have it. Its a beast. The CB500 the CX500 are kindred spirits

I love Honda's that deliver maximum fun for minimum outlay. I own a 2001 CB500 that I have taken from 54k to 91k miles. Paid £700 for it and still have it. Its a beast. The CB500 the CX500 are kindred spirits
Bought mine when i was 52 after 18 years without a bike sold when i was 64 3 years ago athumb..

I have had one of the beers in a clear glass bottle out of the fridge for 12 hours now and it has cleared up considerably. So now I am wondering the following;

1. Is it chill haze or something else thats preventing the refrigerated beers from clearing up?
2. Should I take the whole batch out of the fridge to let it clear or
3. is the cause of the murkiness something that is not detrimental to the beer
4. If it take all the beers out and they all clear up nicely, whats going to happen when I put them back in the fridge to prepare them for drinking?

Sorry for the barge of questions but I am still on the steep part of the beer brewing learning curve and I would also hate to wait 2 months for this beer to be ready, only to find out that I ruined it somehow

Its a large dry hop so its just hazy from that.. I did that same kit years back.
so does that mean I need to wait longer or bring them up to room temp before refridging or just go ahead and drink them?

so does that mean I need to wait longer or bring them up to room temp before refridging or just go ahead and drink them?
I think you have proved that its unlikely to be yeast that is causing your cloudy beer, it's something else, but there is not much you can do about it.
So if they are drinkable whether chilled or not and whether clear or not, get stuck in. But if you find they are making you ill as in the OP, it's your decision what you do with the remainder of the bottles e.g, drink it and put up with being ill, give it way, or pour it down the sink.

Pretty much the same advice...
Just leave the beer in the shed or garage at outside ish temperatures at this time of year and drink it without overchilling in a fridge.
If it is giving you the squits or making you ill in other ways, get someone else to try it. If it makes them the same, either pour it away or put up with the mad dash to the outhouse! If it doesn't make them ill, give the ale away.

Thanks for all the info ladies and gents. Tried a couple last night and they were delicious without explosive repercussions!

Latest posts

Back