beginner cider maker, advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rendo

Reaction score
First Post and a novice brewer. Hi to everyone.

Recently started a Cider brew after having a load of apples left over.
My partner runs a small preserve business and uses a lot of apples. with the surplus i thought i'd give cider a go.
but we may in the end make it into cider vinegar, another ingredient she uses alot of.
will all depend on ow the cider tastes though.

Anyway, in a rushed manner i scanned the web for some starters to cider making, bought a fermentation bucket and put in the apple juice.
opted to use sulphite and add brewers yeast. so i did all this and only managed to fill about 5litres of a 25litre bucket. While in this it was airlock and i was getting it to bubble.
over the next few weeks i was busy reading up some more i was concerned of all the spare space in the bucket and thought it might be better to transfer to a demijohn. the bucket had a lot of foamy scum on top and some sediment in the bottom, i decided to only transfer the juice. i also bought a belt heater and i have had that on since transferring it to the demijohn.

i know don't seem to have any fermentation happening, i have added another small amount of yeast to see if that will start things off again.

looking for some advice on my progress so far, have i been to quick to transfer the juice? should i have taken all the sediment to? would that have made a difference?
all advice (and criticism) welcome

Cider will ferment out in about 10 days, you are talking weeks!
I would think your yeasties have done their thing and are looking for some more snap!
An Hydrometer is the only real way to determine the progress of a ferment, do you have one?
A step by step detailed account of what you did will help the Forum answer your questions.

rendo said:
the bucket had a lot of foamy scum on top and some sediment in the bottom, i decided to only transfer the juice.
Sounds like it's already finished fermenting a while ago mate. Have a taste!! :cheers:

As the other members have said your cider has probably all ready fermented out, if you taste it will either taste tart and dry meaning its fermented all its sugars,or it will taste sweet meaning it hasn't.To check this for sure you need to use a hydrometer.
If you look on the wine and cider how to guides WOW by Moley this will tell you how to use one and a bucket load of other things you need to know that are applicable to most wines and ciders not just Wursels orange wine (WOW) follow link http://thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic ... 48&t=10179.

Hope this helps Cheers Graham.

Latest posts

Back