Belle Saison chill haze

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agentgonzo

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've recently brewed my second batch of saison using this yeast. I always fill a couple of clear bottles so I can judge colour/clarity/carbonisation etc. This one came out crystal clear when it was carbonating in my carbonation chamber (spare room).

However, when I moved it out to the conditioning room (garage), as soon as it dropped down in temperature, it got a thick haze - like a Hefeweizen. I checked my previous batch (I'm on the last bottle) and that behaves exactly the same. Room temperature: Clear. 5°C: very hazy.

I've not experienced this before with any other beer, of which I've done over a hundred. There was no wheat in this either, 90% pilsner malt, 10% Munich.

Has anyone else experienced this with Belle Saison?

(Not that I'm complaining, it tastes delicious)

I always get a chill haze with my saisons. Like you i use MO and sometimes pilsner malt - and always use protofloc tabs in the last 5 mins of the boil. Still happens though.
But i have to admit i usually drink mine at 12C - mainly because thats the temp of my cellar and i keep forgetting to put them in a fridge. Have to say at slightly higher temps the peppery-ness comes out more!

I'm drinking one now. It's really bizarre to start off with something that clears up as you go down the glass and it warms! It's crystal clear now, having started off like a wit!

Maybe I should market this gimmick!

Back